Sign in with
Your question

Home Gigabit Network for Tivo, Ps3, Wii & TV

Last response: in Networking
February 19, 2010 2:59:35 PM

I currently have a 802.11g 2.4ghz wireless Belkin router. It is wired to a PC, Powerline adapter and Wireless Weather display, Connected via wireless are three series-2 Tivos ( via wireless G USB adapters), one PS3 and, a Wii. The powerline adapter is connected to a SONY Bravia internet capable TV.

The problems:
The Tivos transfer speeds are rather slow. They show 16% to 66% signal strength (it varies as you watch the display in Tivo.

The powerline is not sufficient, (shows data speed ,not HD speed) guess I have to many sub panels etc). I can use the TV to stream my photos (sometimes) , but it always stalls or crashes when I stream video.

The wireless PS3 streaming halts at times and can’t fast forward like I can via Roku.

Other PS3 is not wireless,

Options:
Since I have the Cat5e Cable and connectors…
Replace existing router with gigabit router and hard wire to PC and one Tivo using USB network adapter. Hard wire 2 additional switches elsewhere in the house to serve PS3, Tivo, Roku and PS3, WII, Tivo, Sony Bravia TV.

Does this make any sense?? The additional switches will be Gigabit.. Suggestions please.

a b F Wireless
February 19, 2010 4:05:43 PM

Anytime you can keep devices wired (Gigabit or not) rather than resort to wireless or powerline, you’re going to vastly improve your network. But just remember, Gigabit hardware is only going to help in those instances where the devices actually support Gigabit. I’m not familiar w/ every device you’ve described, so I don’t necessarily know which do and which don’t. Frankly, I’m surprised you’re able to switch to wire so readily. Most ppl would already be using wire if it was even remotely possible.

A word about the TiVo’s though …

I have three TiVo’s of my own (2 x Humax DRT-800 + 1 x Toshiba SD-H400), all Series2. But whereas you’re using USB wireless adapters, I’m using USB 10/100mbps Ethernet adapters (Netgear FA120) patched to wireless Ethernet bridges. So I’m quite familiar w/ the ins and outs of TiVo, including the connectivity challenges.

One thing I’ve noted about TiVo transfers (at least Series2) is that they’re ALWAYS slow! It’s been a long time since I measured (so I don’t have any numbers at the tip of my tongue), but I’ve tried everything to get TiVo to transfer faster, including wire, and it’s just a dog. I’m convinced is has more to do w/ the encoding/encryption process. IOW, what’s slowing down the transfer is not so much the network but a lot of intense processing by a marginal processor. And if you think about it, this makes some sense. TiVo Desktop (and the home networking option) came AFTER the hardware was released. So I don’t believe Series2 was ever fully capable of supporting all the features that eventually came to pass, at least not very efficiently. So even if Gigabit could help, it seems pointless. I don’t believe TiVo can even saturate 100mbps!

Btw, I don’t believe TiVo supports any USB Gigabit Ethernet adapters anyway. And even if it did, USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps and half duplex. USB 2.0 and Gigabit don’t seem like a match made in heaven (imo).

So I see no problems w/ your plan generally, but when it comes to the TiVo’s specifically, I remain highly skeptical.

m
l
February 19, 2010 4:49:31 PM

eibgrad said:
Anytime you can keep devices wired (Gigabit or not) rather than resort to wireless or powerline, you’re going to vastly improve your network. But just remember, Gigabit hardware is only going to help in those instances where the devices actually support Gigabit. I’m not familiar w/ every device you’ve described, so I don’t necessarily know which do and which don’t. Frankly, I’m surprised you’re able to switch to wire so readily. Most ppl would already be using wire if it was even remotely possible.

A word about the TiVo’s though …

I have three TiVo’s of my own (2 x Humax DRT-800 + 1 x Toshiba SD-H400), all Series2. But whereas you’re using USB wireless adapters, I’m using USB 10/100mbps Ethernet adapters (Netgear FA120) patched to wireless Ethernet bridges. So I’m quite familiar w/ the ins and outs of TiVo, including the connectivity challenges.

One thing I’ve noted about TiVo transfers (at least Series2) is that they’re ALWAYS slow! It’s been a long time since I measured (so I don’t have any numbers at the tip of my tongue), but I’ve tried everything to get TiVo to transfer faster, including wire, and it’s just a dog. I’m convinced is has more to do w/ the encoding/encryption process. IOW, what’s slowing down the transfer is not so much the network but a lot of intense processing by a marginal processor. And if you think about it, this makes some sense. TiVo Desktop (and the home networking option) came AFTER the hardware was released. So I don’t believe Series2 was ever fully capable of supporting all the features that eventually came to pass, at least not very efficiently. So even if Gigabit could help, it seems pointless. I don’t believe TiVo can even saturate 100mbps!

Btw, I don’t believe TiVo supports any USB Gigabit Ethernet adapters anyway. And even if it did, USB 2.0 is limited to 480mbps and half duplex. USB 2.0 and Gigabit don’t seem like a match made in heaven (imo).

So I see no problems w/ your plan generally, but when it comes to the TiVo’s specifically, I remain highly skeptical.

Wired vs wired is a progression.. My first Tivo was b/4 networking was possible (dial-up for updates). The router was next and it was just easier just to get the wireless adapters.

However, now that I have upgraded the harddrives in two of the Tivos I have access to many more programs and want to transfer them without waiting so long. Also with PS3, Wii TV, and Roku (all streaming video) (plus probably USB Hard drives) it makes sense to "upgrade".

I don't expect most of my devices to be capable of Gigabit speeds but since I am getting Linksys WRT310N router I figured why not wire what I could. I think getting the Gigabit router and switches will "future-proof" my network to some degree.

With the Tivos I found that IF I could get Excellent rather than good or poor signal strength, which they are now, my transfer speeds were at least real time. Meaning I could watch a program recorded on my workout Tivo on my front room Tivo. So wiring those just makes sense. BTW I am going to be using SMC 10/100mbps Ethernet adapters.

JP
m
l
Related resources
February 23, 2010 12:45:44 AM

I believe all the PS3's support gige, I know my older 40gb one does, and yes switching to all gige made all the difference in the world. ZERO delay opening files, streaming media, etc...
m
l
February 23, 2010 12:49:49 PM

Thanx for the reply. I think it will improve file transfers gre atly. Does anyone think it will help with the internet capable TV??

m
l
!