Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Monitor horizontal running line problem...

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Drivers
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
April 4, 2010 2:15:49 PM

Hey my trusty TH gurus,

My monitor has had a horizontal line running from top to bottom through it for the past several weeks. It's a Hanns.G Hi221D 22" monitor (less than a year old).

I have checked the cords/connections, re-installed the drivers, checked a different monitor (no lines), and tried auto adjust.

Shortly after I re-installed the monitor driver and restarted, the line appeared to go away for a couple days. It's back now though, so I thought I'd ask here to see if there is anything else I can do before the dreaded (and monitorless) RMA process.

So, any advice/suggestions?

Thanks,
-TG

More about : monitor horizontal running line problem

April 5, 2010 12:30:30 AM

Just asking, are you using DVI or VGA to plug in the monitor? Did Hanns have a different driver for the wo inputs as my Samsung does?
m
l
April 5, 2010 5:42:28 AM

I am using VGA. I did test the cable on a different monitor and it worked fine. Hanns had a disk with a driver on it. I'm not sure what you mean by wo inputs...it just had the one driver on it that I'm aware of.
m
l
Related resources
April 5, 2010 6:40:57 PM

If your Hanns has a DVI input and your pc has one why don't you use a DVI cable, otherwise I think RMA is the only way to go as a line across the screen is an internal pixel or power problem.
m
l
April 6, 2010 5:16:46 PM

I don't have a DVI cable or adapter. What is the difference anyway? Would it be worth purchasing one?
m
l
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2010 5:22:26 PM

DVI is a digital signal where VGA is analog. It is generally a better signal/picture etc and might be worth picking up at some point. However, since you've tested with a different monitor and that DIDN'T show the line, its probably the monitor. Do you have another PC to try the monitor with? If you can do that and its still got the line, you know you need to RMA that monitor.
m
l
April 6, 2010 5:47:07 PM

Ya, I can do that too. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet. I just assumed that would be the same as testing a different monitor on my PC.
m
l
a b C Monitor
April 6, 2010 5:47:55 PM

Pretty much it is the same, but it also just verifies that there isn't some issue with just the particular combination (like a driver issue or whatever). Just worth a last try before RMAing.
m
l