Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2010 9:15:12 AM

Hi all :)  ,

I'm looking to build a new gaming rig. Other than gaming, my system usage would be for video/photo editing & surfing.

The specs I've have come up with:

Processor: Core i5-750
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Motherboard
RAM: Patriot Signature 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Graphics Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850
HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM
Case: Thermaltake Strike MX Series VI6001BNS
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 2208WFP 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

I would like to get suggestions/opinions on the following:

1) What other lower end processor can I opt for which wouldn't create a bottleneck for the above mentioned video card (I'm on a budget ,so could use the savings from the cpu towards the gpu) and also to an extent be future proof?

2) Would the slow DMI chip-to-chip interconnect pose any issues if I go for a dual gpu setup in the future?

3) Would it make sense to go for the GSKILL Ripjaws Series 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz instead of the above mentioned memory module?

4) Are there any known issues with the above mentioned mobo?

5) What wattage of psu would be ideal for the above setup...600w?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance :) 

More about : gaming setup

May 2, 2010 2:02:02 PM

"Consumer Home" editing and Personal Photos and Graphics ... Right ???

= Alvin =
m
l
May 2, 2010 2:15:58 PM

Might look into an amd phenom 2 or athlon 2 to save cash.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2010 2:27:30 PM

What editing apps. ?

What format ... i.e., HDV?>AVCHD H.264 ... Type and freq of output ?

If editing is a BIG DEAL, for you ... we need to know, right now, so we can talk about FERMI (470) ... Otherwise ... just build a Radeon Gaming rig and the editing should fall within the gaming performance envelope ... Comprende?

= Al =
m
l
May 3, 2010 5:28:38 AM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Might look into an amd phenom 2 or athlon 2 to save cash.

Thanq for ur response :) 
m
l
May 3, 2010 6:13:01 AM

Alvin Smith said:
What editing apps. ?

What format ... i.e., HDV?>AVCHD H.264 ... Type and freq of output ?

If editing is a BIG DEAL, for you ... we need to know, right now, so we can talk about FERMI (470) ... Otherwise ... just build a Radeon Gaming rig and the editing should fall within the gaming performance envelope ... Comprende?

= Al =

Hi...I mostly work with Photoshop...not much into video editing right now. So as mentioned the Radeon card should take care of my photo editing needs. That's bring us back to my initial queries. Came across some posts about the I5-750 processor having issues with Foxconn sockets....would appreciate thoughts on that.

Appreciate ur time...thanks in advance :) 
m
l
May 3, 2010 12:55:06 PM

I can't speak for that as I am not much of an intel guy, but I would say Foxconn is not considered one of the premier motherboard manufacturers to my knowledge.
m
l
May 3, 2010 11:33:43 PM

I've had good luck with biostar as well. However, I've got a Gigabyte board now as well, stable as a rock.
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:27:28 AM

QUOTE ... " I have had GOOD LUCK ! "

... EXACTLY !

MSI is the lowest I would go on-line ...

Prob with FoxCon and BioStar (Jetway, HIS, ASROCK) is that you MIGHt get a great board or you MIGHT get one with bent slots and parts hanging off them. The design isn't any worse ... some of the components ARE crappier ... they just do not inspect and test (my experience) as carefully, before they ship.

If I got some amazing combo deal on a FoxCon mobo, LOCALLY, like at Fry's, THEN, SURE, ... if it is "junk out of the box", I just have to drive across town, for a replacement, and I am back to my build.

I just don't need the RMA hassle ... that's all.

Best *online* boards? : Gigabyte, ASUS, TYAN, EVGA, INTEL, SuperMicro, MSI

= Al =
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:55:44 AM

Really, on biostar out of say at least 2 builds I've used them in, they were very reliable. Foxconn, Jetway I don't have any experience. I thought I read somewhere ASROCK was owned by ASUS. I used one of those as well and it seemed good.
m
l
May 4, 2010 2:52:19 AM

Like I said ... they CAN be great ... when all goes well. Really comes down to QC for a given board, barring any bios/model specific issues.

BioStar makes some "off the path" models for micro-ATX and they even make a board to give my old P4 an upgraded PCIe 2.0 bus ... I was tempted ... but the reviews were all bad.

= Al =
m
l
May 5, 2010 5:47:26 AM

Thanks for ur time...gigabyte seems to be way to go.

Can u comment on these too:

Would the slow DMI chip-to-chip interconnect pose any issues if I go for a dual gpu setup in the future?

What wattage of psu would be ideal for the above setup...600w?!

TIA
m
l
May 5, 2010 8:07:20 AM

750 Watts is nominal for 2x5850s

Corsair makes a bronze model for under $100 ... certified for everything.

= Al =
m
l
May 9, 2010 6:41:05 AM

hey thanks..appreciate all ur help :) 
m
l
!