Sign in with
Your question

Computer died, need a new build immediately

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2010 10:37:42 AM

I was planning on building a new computer this summer when I'll be back in the States/England and can get cheaper computer parts than here in Norway. Unfortunately, my EVGA 680i mobo died yesterday completely unprovoked so I'll need to buy the parts here. Instead of going with the dream build I was planning, I'll have to settle for something less. To illustrate what I'm saying, the Intel Core i7 920 is about 320$US here as opposed to 280$US in the States. The Intel Core i7 980 Extreme Edition is 1400$US here and 1000$US in the States. You get my point.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today or tomorrow, if possible

BUDGET RANGE: Performance is most important. I would also like upgradability seeing as I feel I have been robbed of my dream build, but I could also abandon this build in a couple of years and go for something new then. USB 3.0 and SATA 6 would be nice for when I get an SSD later. Hard to write a budget here since prices are in NOK and include 25% VAT, I will say that I'm set on the Intel Core i7 920 as a CPU and thinking about one of the EVGA x58 boards, everything else is open to discussion.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, editing and encoding video and music, surfing the internet with 100 tabs open, watching movies, Folding@Home, SETI (why not?)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, 27" monitor, Logitech z5500 speakers, Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, multiple hard drives including 7200.10 and a WD raptor, Soundblaster X-Fi PCI sound card with I/O module, Cooler Master CM690 with many high speed fans, have two 8800GTXs but am only using one, also have an OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU that I could replace because it's almost 3.5 years old.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I have to use http://prisguide.hardware.no

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel Core i7 920, one of the EVGA x58 boards (do not need 3x or 4x SLI and don't want a giant mobo), Corsair Dominator Twin3x RAM maybe?, Cooler Master V8 CPU fan to replace my current Thermaltake Big Typhoon?

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, definitely a must. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe to Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need at least one eSATA port on the mobo. Bling is not necessary and not preferred. I am planning on upgrading my video card later when I'm abroad. The GTX 480 costs 500$US in the States and 800$US here in Norway. I'm not willing to spend 800$US on a video card here.

PS: I am upgrading from a EVGA 680i, E6600 @ 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB Corsair XMS2, Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Matrix VX case.

Thank you for your help!
May 2, 2010 11:53:28 AM

Is it possible to have someone (friend or family) order parts from newegg and ship the bundle to you in a few days?
Related resources
May 2, 2010 12:06:07 PM

thats a good idea janxta
May 2, 2010 3:50:45 PM

janxta said:
Is it possible to have someone (friend or family) order parts from newegg and ship the bundle to you in a few days?

That's something I've done in the past when I've been out of money or desperate, but there are a few problems with it. It would be placing a significant responsibility on my dad, Newegg could screw up the order, some parts could be DOA, parts could be damaged in overseas shipping... If Norwegian customs checks the package, I'll be hit with 25% tax on whatever they think it's worth (if there's no invoice included) plus a 50$ fee for importation. It would be cheaper to import everything legit and pay the duty on it if I were to go high end components. The problem is that I'd have no way of testing the stuff out before it gets here. If anything is dead or defective and I have to get a replacement, Norway's import laws do not allow me to do international part exchanges without paying to import the stuff AGAIN. This is why I always buy stuff when I'm abroad and bring it back here with me. The money I save easily pays for the flights. Do you see what I'm saying now?

The difference is minimal if I buy lower end components (like the i7 930) over here. Instead of getting that Core i7 980 I really want, I'll just try and get as much of an overclock out of the 930 as I can and build my dream system later. It's a bit of a bummer, but I'm already over it. :) 
May 2, 2010 4:05:00 PM

Alvin Smith said:
1. GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. i7-930s Overclock with ease ... on air. No risk to CPU.

3. ... 6GB 1600 Cas 7 RAM going to be enough ? X58 is Three Channel (sets of 3 modules).

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231335

4. Very popular, Very efficient and Very inexpensive cooler ... massively popular.

Hyper 212+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

1. The main problem with the EVGA boards are that they don't have USB 3.0 and SATA 6. Is that Gigabyte board you mentioned easy to overclock? It's absolutely crucial that I get a good OC :)  Never bought a Gigabyte board before, but heard that they're great.

2. I can do the Core i7 930 instead of the 920. My Cooler Master CM690 which I've already set up in preparation for my new build is decked out with NINE serious high speed Scythe Kaze-Jyuni 120 mm fans pushing 110.31 CFM. So air cooling is not a problem :) 

3. Either 6 GB or 9 GB should do the trick. I looked at that G.Skill and remember that some people have trouble getting it to run at 1600 Mhz. As long as I can get it there myself, I'd buy that.

4. Nice looking cooler. Very inexpensive. I can get it here in Norway for about 30 bucks, which is what it's sold for over there.

What about a new PSU? I'll run one or two 8800GTX's in SLI now until I can get my hands on a GTX 480 abroad. Have 700W now, but the thing is nearly 3.5 years old. How long do they usually last?
May 2, 2010 6:50:42 PM

(1) You will acheive ~4GHz+, on air ... I would shoot just shy of 4GHz (conservative).
... There is a product link in the left column of that newegg link to the UD3 mobo ...
... That mobo was purpose designed to OC

(2) 930 will definately do just better than 4GHz, on air (typically, anyway) ... (reviews).

(3) WRONG !! ... If you want to achieve 1600c7 you should prolly go with just one set of three modules, for a total of 6GB ... If you feel you MUST have more, then you should step up to SIX IDENTICAL MODULES ... EXACTLY IDENTICAL !!
... While a 6+3 config is technically legal, it would only be practical at a standard 1333c9 (or at slower/"looser timings")

(4) Hyper 212+ ... It "just works" and VERY WELL ! ... Many clone-ish imitators.
... Also fits every modern socket on this planet.

(5) I am going to do some research on the FERMI 480 PSU requirements ... Any chance you would entertain TWO FERMI 480s ???

= Al =
May 2, 2010 8:54:32 PM

Alvin Smith said:
(1) You will acheive ~4GHz+, on air ... I would shoot just shy of 4GHz (conservative).
... There is a product link in the left column of that newegg link to the UD3 mobo ...
... That mobo was purpose designed to OC

(2) 930 will definately do just better than 4GHz, on air (typically, anyway) ... (reviews).

(3) WRONG !! ... If you want to achieve 1600c7 you should prolly go with just one set of three modules, for a total of 6GB ... If you feel you MUST have more, then you should step up to SIX IDENTICAL MODULES ... EXACTLY IDENTICAL !!
... While a 6+3 config is technically legal, it would only be practical at a standard 1333c9 (or at slower/"looser timings")

(4) Hyper 212+ ... It "just works" and VERY WELL ! ... Many clone-ish imitators.
... Also fits every modern socket on this planet.

(5) I am going to do some research on the FERMI 480 PSU requirements ... Any chance you would entertain TWO FERMI 480s ???

= Al =

Okay, looks like I know what I'm getting as per 1, 2, and 4.

3. I see what you're saying regarding the RAM. I remember reading that now, though it was confusing as hell at the time. 6 GB seems like more than enough right now. I was doing well with 4 GB to be honest. Otherwise it looks like I'd have to get 12 GB, and I really do not need that much!

5. I've read some tests and commentaries that suggested no less than a 1000W PSU if running two GTX 480's and overclocking. I really don't think I will run two of them. In addition to ridiculous electric bills because of the power consumption, the heat output is just nuts. Nearly 100 degrees C at load for just one! I'd actually like to cut down on my electricity usage, but modern computing with hardcore gaming and overclocking doesn't exactly seem to be heading in that direction... I have no idea how long PSU's can last. I'm assuming that 3-4 years is the norm. That probably means it's time to get a new one. If the price difference isn't large, I could just go for a 1kW PSU to be future-proof. No telling what ATI or NVIDIA will come up with next and it wouldn't be nice to have to buy another PSU.
May 2, 2010 9:07:28 PM

Corsair has a VERY nice 1KW PSU ... would not be a bad idea, at all, if you might go 2x480 ...

... You will really be loving it, next winter, too! just turn your furnace "OFF" !

... Hell ... You could prolly fire pottery, in there!

= EZ Bake (TM) =

May 2, 2010 9:15:33 PM

BTW ... Come visit our OverClocker's Forum (just down the hall) ...

... There is some very good reading (OC primers) amongst the "Sticky-Threads" (Bold Blue), at the top of the page ...

... OCers have a lot of attitude ... but they will give good advice, with enough grovelling (amidst conspicuously numerous platitudes of profuse respect, et. al. ).

... But, hey ... The price is right!

= Al =

May 3, 2010 7:25:05 AM

Alvin Smith said:
Corsair has a VERY nice 1KW PSU ... would not be a bad idea, at all, if you might go 2x480 ...

... You will really be loving it, next winter, too! just turn your furnace "OFF" !

... Hell ... You could prolly fire pottery, in there!

= EZ Bake (TM) =

Would that be this power supply?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 3, 2010 7:45:18 AM

Okay, I've just checked the prices and availability of everything online here in Norway. So far, there is only one problem. The RAM isn't available for some reason. You advised me to get the G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3. What else would be equally good?

Here are some popular ones for sale right now listed in their order of purchase popularity on http://prisguide.hardware.no :

1. OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 Platinum 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) - 1677 NOK = 282$
2. Corsair Dominator GT DDR3-2000 CL7 6 GB - 3350 NOK = 564$
3. Corsair Dominator TWIN3X DDR3-1600 6 GB (3x2GB) - 1868 NOK = 315$
4. Patriot Viper DDR3 1600 6 GB - 1555 NOK = 262$
14. G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 Kit (3x2GB) PC3 12800 1600MHz Non-ECC CL9 (F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ) - 1207 NOK = 203$

#14 is the only G.SKILL currently for sale here.
May 3, 2010 12:16:42 PM

I just ordered! Went with the Corsair Dominator's (TR3X6G1600C8D) after trying forever to decided between them and the OCZ. In the end, it came down to me owning an OCZ PSU and remembering how poor the English was written in the instruction manual, hahaha. As for the PSU, I also went with the Corsair 1000W.

I paid: 6103 NOK + 1552 NOK tax + 105 NOK shipping = 7760 NOK
1029 USD + 262 USD tax + 18 USD shipping = 1309 USD

Now, if I had bought the same stuff in the States, it would have cost me 999.95 USD + 0 tax + 10.10 USD shipping = 1010.05 USD today. So I paid about 300 USD more by ordering it here, which makes sense given the taxes here. However, if anything goes wrong with the parts, I can get them replaced easily here without doing international part exchanges and shipping and having to pay additional tax. Plus, I can deduct the cost of computer equipment from my taxes next year :) )

Thank you for all of your help. Once I get the stuff and put it together, I'll head over to the overclocking forums and aim for 4 GHz! Here's hoping I get D0 stepping.
May 3, 2010 10:59:35 PM

The dominator was clearly the best, however "pricey" ... That PSU ROCKS !

BEST OF LUCK ... Revive this old thread, someday, and give us a report !

PS: At the top of this "New Build" forum is are two great sticky threads (bold blue titles) ... The READ THIS BEFORE POSTING and the other How-to build threads will help you avoid common errors that could delay your build or damage parts ...
... READ BEFORE AND DURING YOUR BUILD ... EVEN IF YOU ARE EXPERT !

BEST OF LUCK !

= Alvin =
!