Fastest Compatable XP CPU

Hi! My work uses XP (we have some printers and other hardware that does not work with Vista/7) and I want to build a really fast computer. I read that it does not make sense to use a multi-core CPU with XP. What CPU do you recommend? I am looking to spend around $600-$800 for the entire build.

Thanks!
11 answers Last reply
More about fastest compatable
  1. Already built for you @ $629 ThinkCentre M58e (7268C5U) Core 2 Duo E7500(2.93GHz). Windows XP included.
  2. Printer I have hooked up to my PC(Vista) I got for free because it has been collecting dust for over a year and isn't compatible with Vista. Took me a whole 5minutes to get drivers working and get Vista to recognize the printer and make it usable.

In any case, I like that build WR2 just posted above this, I would personally consider throwing in an Athlon II X3 instead of the X2.
  3. Thanks! But I was told that it does not make sense to use a multi-core processor with XP. Is that true?

Thanks!

WR2 said:
  4. Multi core works fine with XP. Where did you hear that it wouldn't?
  5. yea you can do a 6 core in xp if you really want. but just make sure its xp 64 cause if you're going for good hardware and rocking xp 32 .. then whats the point
  6. Using multi-core CPUs in XP is just fine. Who the heck told you it wasn't? If you use an AMD build though, make sure to download the AMD CPU driver. It prevents a few thread scheduling quirks in XP.
  7. Just make sure you have atleast SP2 as SP1 and earlier are abit dodgy with multicore'd CPUs especially XP Home.
  8. > make sure it's xp 64 cause if you're going for good hardware and rocking xp 32 ..
    > then what's the point?

Ramdisks ... and a very effective virtual barrier at the 4GB limit in XP 32-bit:

http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/superspeed/RamDiskPlus.Review.htm

MRFS
  9. Great! Thanks! I got the parts built the computer and it works great, EXCEPT, I cannot get two monitors working. There is a VGA and DVI on the motherboard but I cannot get the DVI to work.

Any suggestions on a cheap video card that will work that will allow me to do multi-monitors (two or three monitors)

Thanks!

WR2 said:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows XP Product