$2200 gaming build ready to hit buy button today

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hi guys,

If there are any tweaks you'd make please let me know. i took the P6X58D mobo because it had usb 3.0 support. Is that correct? Will I have missing parts with an OEM blue ray burner? Is there a better HD than the Seagate? is there better Ram than the Gskill. I took it because Tom's said it was one of the best in a review.

I've been tweaking it since December though hehe. Today's the big day.

PURCHASE DATE: today
SYSTEM USAGE: Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Modern Warfare 2, Photoshop batch image resizing, Outlook with a ton of email, HD storage for 10-20K pics
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers)
PREFERRED WEBSITE: newegg.ca
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel core I7, ATI, ASUS mobo
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe CROSSFIRE: prob not but maybe if I build a home simulator
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1280

Intel Core i7-930
ASUS P6X58D
XFX HD-587A-ZNF9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB
Intel X25-M 80Gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
Antec CP-850 850W
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total: $2,185.39 Canadian

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Of course, if money means anything to you at all, ... A socket 1156 Core i5-750 would clock and game every bit as well ... and more than 4GB of RAM is rarely utilized, at this time ... So, you COULD shave about $300 and not feel it anywhere ...
... but I DO like the way you think and I just said that because of my "obligations", here.

= Al =

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Oh damm I didn't even see that. Yes go with the DDR3 1600 recommendation.

Even if someone tells you 1333 and 1600 are not that different why would you want to go with a lower speed on a new build.
(And heatsinks look nicer, there I said it)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
The only concern I would have about getting an OEM Blu-ray burner is that it won't have any software with it. If you have CD-burning software from another source, then you should be fine (unless it doesn't handle Blu-ray for some reason?) or if you're willing to rely on native OS support. If you want to get software with the drive, get a retail version.

Other than that, everything looks good.

I don't see a need to go with the Corsair PSU Alvin recommended, except for the fact that the Antec power supply only fits in a few cases. If that's a long-term concern, then you might want to change it out. If you don't mind, then there's no reason to switch the PSU.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Not only that ... but if your scalp should start to itching, during your build, you can kill two birds with one stone and fluff out yer "doo", at the same time.

[:jaydeejohn:3] [:jaydeejohn:3] [:jaydeejohn:3]

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And, yeah ... Unless you already have exact, specific software tools and work-flow, in mind, ditch the blu ray till after next Christmas ... It really is an expensive paperweight, 'till then and, look at how much standard DVDRs are ... $22 ?! ... You will be able to snag that BR drive for like $40, in February 2011, and there will actually be stuff you can use it for, by then.

Also ... as an aside ... I have been distributing my 1080P/25Mbit productions as standard .wmv files, on regular DATA DVDRs ... Why? ... (1) Looks much better/cleaner than BR ... (2) Only 10% of my friends/family/neighbors have BR player ... (3) I am not mastering audio in surround ... (4) Many of my friends live in England, Austrailia, Japan ... China, and north and south of the US border ... They could not play MY BluRays, even if they DID have a player ... But ... Progressive scanned data files are region-independent and Broadcast-Standards Independent.

I also own a regular, stand-alone, component BR player I got from Wal-Mart, for cheap. ... The remote has fine freeze/zoom and frame-accurate slow-mo and navigation ... Try that with your onboard drive!

I am in no hurry to "go blu-ray" (for burning) and will not do that until EVrybody is doing it ... and, even then, only as an alternative local-regional format ... .wmv is FAR cleaner and more platform-portable. .. For purchase or rent-to-view playback? ... SURE! ... but my dedicated component player is far less expensive and much better suited than an on-board drive.

Whatever, tho ... I guess "bling-is-bling".

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And ... Lastly .... I live in a hi-rise condo and there are lot's of home theaters in the building and, most of my friends that do own blu-ray live right here ...

... We invite one-another "over", to watch movies, and when folks come to MY place ... I like to turn my computer OFF, to eliminate the "hover-craft" like noise of my system cooling fans (PLURAL! ) ... Think about this very practical consideration.

I also bet your tea-money that you already have a BR "deck", in your rack.

= Alvin =

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

totally off topic... Post counting are we? Never post one reply when two will do???

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Take it up with the moderator....

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
.... looks like we both just added a few "valuable" points to our "ill-gotten" post count ... teee-heee ... kinda makes me feel like I got something for nothing ! ... Know what I mean ? ... I'm feeling more "experty" already !

= jeeesh! =

TRENDING THREADS