Solved

Memory

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 400 MHz computer with 256MB DDR PC2700. I purchased another 256MB DDR PC2700U & 333MHz. My computer will not start up. I had to remove the new memory chip. Is there a difference in the PC2700 and the PC2700U or is it the two different MHZ? Or both?
Thanks for any help,
Dee
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory
  1. The 2700u is an ECC memory designed for servers. Looks like the computer has trouble with matching it with your std DDR.
  2. Best answer
    Your computer specs show you need DDR 333 (non-ECC) only on computers with a 533-MHz system clock speed. I couldn't find the difference in the two modules you have since you didn't post the maake/model numbers. I'm guessing the 2700U is ECC RAM (error-checking); unfortunately you cannot combine the two types of RAM - see if you can trade the 2700U for the non-ECC version from the place you got it.
  3. Thank you both for your reply. I purchased it used for just a couple of dollars, no big loss. Will see if I can trade it for the non ECC. Thanks again!
  4. Best answer selected by countrymom.
  5. Thank you both for your reply. I purchased it used for just a couple of dollars, no big loss. Will see if I can trade it for the non ECC. Thanks again!
  6. You're welcome.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR Computer