Cards for T:DS

Hi

Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that I've
bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...

JJ (UK)

"JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
> I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that
I've
> bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...
>
> JJ (UK)

Hi JJ,

anything from the Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB (original ATI with double
pipelines, not a PowerColor or similar cheapo) up definitely works. People
have played it with 9600/9700 but if you're on a slower system loike me with
just about meeting the min. recommended CPU speed you need a good card and
at least 512 meg. This one does the trick on full settings.
ATI was also said at the time, as far as I know, to be better for textures,
whereas nVidia apparently was slightly faster, maybe more suitable for
UT2003 and racing games - that's my take on it, I'm not a technician.
Apparently nVidia 5900 will also let you play TDS without problems, not sure
about below that.

--
Barnaby

"Barnaby" <Dont.come.to.us@We.ll.come.to.you.com> wrote in message

> Hi JJ,
>
> anything from the Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB (original ATI with double
> pipelines, not a PowerColor or similar cheapo) up definitely works. People
> have played it with 9600/9700 but if you're on a slower system loike me
with
> just about meeting the min. recommended CPU speed you need a good card and
> at least 512 meg. This one does the trick on full settings.
> ATI was also said at the time, as far as I know, to be better for
textures,
> whereas nVidia apparently was slightly faster, maybe more suitable for
> UT2003 and racing games - that's my take on it, I'm not a technician.
> Apparently nVidia 5900 will also let you play TDS without problems, not
sure
> about below that.

Such as an ATI RADEON 9550 256 MB DDR (Latest Chipset) AGP8X TVOUT ?

Or perhaps an ATI RADEON 9250 256 MB DDR (Latest Chipset) AGP8X TVOUT ?

Both sub £50 on eBay...

JJ (UK)

I think they both perform worse than the 9800pro 128MB. 256MB V-RAM is
really not needed today.

If you can, try to find a Nvidia 6800LE, d/l rivatuner and open up atleast 4
more pipelines for more performance. The 6800LE is about the same level in
performance as the 9800Pro but with more open pipelines it easily
outperforms the 9800Pro.

"Halbermensch" <Non@non.non> wrote in message
> I think they both perform worse than the 9800pro 128MB. 256MB V-RAM is
> really not needed today.
>
> If you can, try to find a Nvidia 6800LE, d/l rivatuner

OK.

> and open up atleast 4
> more pipelines for more performance.

Non comprende, senor...

JJ (UK)

MOS

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

> "Halbermensch" <Non@non.non> wrote in message
>> I think they both perform worse than the 9800pro 128MB.
>> 256MB V-RAM is really not needed today.
>>
>> If you can, try to find a Nvidia 6800LE, d/l rivatuner
>
> OK.
>
>> and open up atleast 4
>> more pipelines for more performance.
>
> Non comprende, senor...
>
> JJ (UK)

I have a Radeon 9200 w/128 megs.
Computer mem is 1G.
Had no problem running the game.

I have a GeForce 5700 le 128meg card and 768 mb ram and the game runs
excellent.

"JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
> I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that
> I've
> bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...
>
> JJ (UK)

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
> I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that
> I've
> bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...
>
> JJ (UK)

Get a 9800 Pro 128Mb minimum. A 9550 is not a suitable card.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 08:21:11 GMT, "JJ \(UK\)" <nah@way.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
>I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that I've
>bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...
>
>JJ (UK)

I have an older Nvidia Ti4200 128mb and the game runs great. I'm also
under official specs: P3 1.3 Ghz, 640 mb Ram, Windows ME, and I did
not update my DirectX or video drivers as it insisted!

Craig

On the 18 Jul 2005, "Augustus" <augustus@wrtt.net> wrote:

> "JJ (UK)" <nah@way.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Is there an online list of cards that will work with Thief : Dark Shadows?
> > I think it's time I got my card replaced with a suitable model now that
> > I've
> > bought the game (cheap at £4.25, from a charity shop)...
> >
> > JJ (UK)
>
> Get a 9800 Pro 128Mb minimum. A 9550 is not a suitable card.

I recommend the 9800 Pro too, got a 128MB version fairly cheaply -
bought it and a DVD-ROM drive just to play TDS!

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!