Asus M5N or Dell D400 with Linux

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 6:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

Hi

Sorry for the cross posting but not sure all groups are carried by all news
servers.

I'm looking for an ultraportable laptop, with good usable battery life (4
+hrs) and support for Linux.

I can get a Dell D400 Centrino 735 for about the same money as a similar
spec Asus. However, the Asus looks like it has better battery life and uses
faster memory 333 against 266. Only negatives on the Asus seem to be a bit
noisy on the fan and the limit of 768Mb against 2Gb on the Dell. Also how
well does either screen perform in sunlight.

What experience do people have on living with either, stability with Linux
and the realistic battery life they get on either - I'll be using it for
wireless LAN survey and AP/switch setups so not disk intensive use.

Thanx

Jay
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 9:19:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

> the limit of 768Mb against 2Gb on the Dell

The ASUS M6 will do 2G.

http://linux-on-asus-laptops.net/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 12:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.portable (More info?)

[Followups set, which is of course at _bare_ minimum what the original
poster should have done.]

In comp.os.linux.hardware Jay Hendry <jlhendry99@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry for the cross posting but not sure all groups are carried by all news
> servers.

Sorry for ignoring your question, but I recommend seeking out a reliable
news server, instead of ignoring netiquette and expecting others to
think propagation problems excuse it.
!