Sign in with
Your question

NVidia GTX295 starts to whizz, then shuts down the PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 4, 2010 8:34:50 PM

Hello, I am encountering strange problem with my graphic card :

My configuration :
MB ASUS P6T, i7-950 Box, 4096MB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston (2x 2GB), position DDR1 + DDR3 according to MB manual, VGA MSI N295GTX-2D1792, operating system installed on HDD WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA300, storing HDD WD Caviar RE4-GP 2TB 64MB, DVD-RW LG GH22NP20, Sound-Blaster X-FI Platinum with EX front panel (PCI), AverMedia TV Card (PCI). OS : WinXP Professional SP3, BIOS setup defaults.

Monitor HP w2408, resolution 1600x1000/32bit 60Hz, up-to-date nVidia drivers.

Problem : everytime I start a computer game (in general) I can hear strange whizz from inside of my computer (sometimes the sound is changing its pitch) as if the graphic card is finding the proper frequency or is struggling with resolution.

Sometimes the sound is soft (then it holds), but many times the whizz sound gets louder and then - in a second or two, the PC shuts down and restarts. I have been solving this temporarily (skipping intro-video of the game pressing ESC quickly, or swiftly trying to set different resolution in the game settings). But on a few occassions I was not able to run the computer game at all, because the card just shut down immediately and I could not do anything about it.

I tried downloading the latest nVIDIA drivers, I tried different resolutions, (but sometimes none worked), I tried installing the latest DX9c version, but still this problem remains unsolved. I have experienced this in many computer games : SPELLFORCE II, CITIES XL, ERAGON, MAJESTY II, (older games or new games - makes no difference). Mostly it starts to make that whizz sound at the start, when the company logos are showing and the intro-video is running, but sometimes it is also happening when all this ends and the main screen with the basic game menu appears. It often happens that the card doesn't like it at all, makes that whizz sound and shuts down the PC immediately.

Where could be the problem? Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thanx for any help!

Anthony
April 4, 2010 8:56:17 PM

vectord said:
Hello, I am encountering strange problem with my graphic card :

My configuration :
MB ASUS P6T, i7-950 Box, 4096MB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Kingston (2x 2GB), position DDR1 + DDR3 according to MB manual, VGA MSI N295GTX-2D1792, operating system installed on HDD WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA300, storing HDD WD Caviar RE4-GP 2TB 64MB, DVD-RW LG GH22NP20, Sound-Blaster X-FI Platinum with EX front panel (PCI), AverMedia TV Card (PCI). OS : WinXP Professional SP3, BIOS setup defaults.

Monitor HP w2408, resolution 1600x1000/32bit 60Hz, up-to-date nVidia drivers.

Problem : everytime I start a computer game (in general) I can hear strange whizz from inside of my computer (sometimes the sound is changing its pitch) as if the graphic card is finding the proper frequency or is struggling with resolution.

Sometimes the sound is soft (then it holds), but many times the whizz sound gets louder and then - in a second or two, the PC shuts down and restarts. I have been solving this temporarily (skipping intro-video of the game pressing ESC quickly, or swiftly trying to set different resolution in the game settings). But on a few occassions I was not able to run the computer game at all, because the card just shut down immediately and I could not do anything about it.

I tried downloading the latest nVIDIA drivers, I tried different resolutions, (but sometimes none worked), I tried installing the latest DX9c version, but still this problem remains unsolved. I have experienced this in many computer games : SPELLFORCE II, CITIES XL, ERAGON, MAJESTY II, (older games or new games - makes no difference). Mostly it starts to make that whizz sound at the start, when the company logos are showing and the intro-video is running, but sometimes it is also happening when all this ends and the main screen with the basic game menu appears. It often happens that the card doesn't like it at all, makes that whizz sound and shuts down the PC immediately.

Where could be the problem? Does anyone have any suggestion?
Thanx for any help!

Anthony

Troubleshoot man.

Do you have onboard video as well? a back up card? Its always a good idea to have back up parts. You can just swap video cards and see if the problem persists. The only way you can know for sure, is to add/remove parts until the problem goes away. Then you will know what the problem is.
a b Î Nvidia
April 4, 2010 9:32:35 PM

Sounds like coil squeal which is not that uncommon until it gets this bad or occurs in a silent system. So you need to make sure it is the card first by taking off the side panel and listen for the noise. It if is the card I would look into an RMA before it fails. There is some DIY fixes but for this card I don't recommend it.
Related resources
April 6, 2010 7:10:53 PM

No, my mainboard has no onboard video. Unfortunately I also have no back-up PCI-E card, only AGP in my previous PC. But it is definitely the graphic card making that sound. I checked it. I am solving it as a reclamation at my computer reseller.
a b Î Nvidia
April 6, 2010 7:54:39 PM

vectord said:
No, my mainboard has no onboard video. Unfortunately I also have no back-up PCI-E card, only AGP in my previous PC. But it is definitely the graphic card making that sound. I checked it. I am solving it as a reclamation at my computer reseller.

Good work, as for the return good luck and let us know how it goes. You should either be refunded or be given an replacement. Don't let them try to rip you off and be on their heals every step of the way, its keeps them honest.
May 16, 2010 8:10:01 PM

So, in the meantime, I decided to buy some cheap card just to be able to run the PC (ASUS EN9500GT). The cards are good enough these days to run a lot of 3D programs or games. After 30 days of my reclamation running, they offered return of the money to me. An interesting thing is, that this GTX295 is no longer in shops anywhere in here, only the GTX285 line is ongoing, but with 1GB DDR3 memory only. I was thinking about some ASUS GTX285, but I could also get some GTX470 or with some additional money even the top GTX480. Perhaps I will wait a few weeks and then decide. Let's see what this DirectX11 does... (?)
!