Crossfire and Photoshop

G

Hello,
i am wondering if anyone could tell me if two equal ati graphic cards with crossfire will be supported by photoshop (i have a list of compatible ati cards). I just dunno if Photoshop CS4 will use the Crossfire stuff. Also, can i use any two ati cards from this list for Crossfire?
the list is from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405711.html

Thanks in advance

Photoshop is more about CPU powah and RAM rather than GPU(s)

One GPU is more than enough for photoshop, No need for crossfire, and because its much more CPU and RAM intensive I doubt theres any multi GPU support.

G

im doing this setup for my gf who is doing photoshop professionally, and she has been told by other designers that having 2 GPUs is generally better. After i read your post i did some google and it looks as if multi gpu support was an issue in Q2 2009 and earlier but has been fixed later. I plan on getting 2 Radeon HD 4500 cards which are in the 90-100 € bracket, so theyre rather cheap, but provide a lot of processing power combined (about as fast as a GTX 280 which costs like 350++ €).
Of course im aiming for a lot of CPU power and a fast RAM (DDR-3 1333).

But i still dunno if Crossfire will work with Photoshop CS4 :(

im doing this setup for my gf who is doing photoshop professionally, and she has been told by other designers that having 2 GPUs is generally better. After i read your post i did some google and it looks as if multi gpu support was an issue in Q2 2009 and earlier but has been fixed later. I plan on getting 2 Radeon HD 4500 cards which are in the 90-100 € bracket, so theyre rather cheap, but provide a lot of processing power combined (about as fast as a GTX 280 which costs like 350++ €).

2 -4500's in Crossfire are not even remotely close to the performance of a GTX280, not even in the same league my friend.
For CS4, you want an nVidia card with Cuda. Forget crossfire, spend the money and get a mid range nVidia GPU.
You do not need a GTX280, but GTX 260 would fit the bill nicely, and yes even a GTX 260 would simply spank a couple of old slow ATI 4500's in Crossfire.

If you don't believe me, just do a Google search for CS4 and Cuda. Do a bit of reading up, and think you will see what I am talking about.

Ok, I use Photoshop and do a lot of work with RAW images and I can say that who ever told that CrossFire helps CS4 is a lair. HOWEVER, if they meant using2 GPUs for doing a 2/4 LCD set up to help with productivity (aka more screen estate) then that is a different story.

A mid/low end nVidia card will work perfectly fine. I have a built a set up for CS4 with an i7 920 OCed + 12GB DDR3 for a customer and it's got a 9600GT and runs CS4 very well.

Imo, unless working with VERY large images you don't need anything above a 9400GT.

For vid/photo editing,etc more RAM and more CPU helps MUCH more than a high end GPU.

Also:
GPU Accelerated Features in Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4

Below is a list of the Photoshop CS4 and Bridge CS4 features that are accelerated by a GPU. To read more about these features, see "GPU accelerated features in Photoshop and Bridge CS4" (TechNote kb405745).

OpenGL/GPU features in Adobe Photoshop CS4 are:

* Smooth Display at ALL Zoom Levels
* Animated Zoom Tool
* Animated Transitions when doing a One Stop Zoom
* Hand Toss Image
* Birdseye View
* Rotate Canvas
* Smooth Display of Non Square Pixel Images
* Pixel Grid
* Move Color Matching to the GPU
* Draw Brush Tip Editing Feedback via GPU
* 3D GPU features include:
o 3D Acceleration
o 3D Axis
o 3D Lights Widget
o Accelerated 3D Interaction via Direct To Screen

GPU features in Bridge CS4 are:

* Preview Panel
* Full-screen preview
* Slideshow
* Review Mode
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405445.html#h2
Realize that GPU acceleration is NOT available for applying filters,etc.
Note: There is a rumor that CS5 will have filters and such accelerated by the GPU.

icgcorp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

I was reading these posts and decided to see what Adobe had to say about it. I use both Photoshop and Adobe Premier (video). I figured for me, if I set things up for Premier, Photoshop would inherently run very well. There's no doubt nVidea is the way to go. Here's a link to what they have to say at Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/performance/

I'm off to get a new video card! :)

icgcorp

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010