Planning on buying new processor

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Hey, I am planning on upgrading my processor from dual core to quad core. (i have an E8400 @3.6)

I was looking at this:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3876586&CatId=3406

Will it work with my motherboard?
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5388320&CatId=3495

If any more specs are needed, please ask.

ps, If there are any better Intel quad core processors please let me know but keep in mind I don't want to spend more than 300 dollars (canadian). And please use either newegg.ca or tigerdirect.ca

:) thanks , Mark

Solution
If you live near a microcenter go get the chip from there. I think it makes perfect sense to upgrade to that chip instead of the i7/i5. If he goes that route it will be a lot more expensive due to the new motherboard/ram and the cpu.

While I see the point in not upgrading a socket 775 system at this time I do not agree with it. I would upgrade that system to the q9550 and stretch it out as long as possible. There is no need to upgrade to either socket 1366/1156 when sandy bridge and its new socket is coming very soon anyways.

My only concern is his motherboard. I do recall the nvidia chipsets not liking the Intel quad cores very much. I do not recall which chipsets or if it was all of them that had issues with the 45nm quads...

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

first, its not 755, its 775 (probably typo) and I've already got a motherboard that I like. Isnt core i5 dual core? I want quad core for the newer games comming out also.

I might just get the Q9550. thanks for the reply though.

icraig

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Yes its a dual core but it has hyper threading so has 4 visible cores ( 2 virtual).

Also with it being a whole new architecture it will be far faster than your current CPU and faster than than a quad core.
In addition not alot of games use the whole 4 cores at the moment anyway.

ares1214

Splendid
the i3 530 is a dual core with hyper threading, making it seem a quad core. the i5 750 is NOT a dual core, whoever is saying this has no idea what they are talking about. it is a WAY better deal than that 9550. and yeah, typo, sorry, i meant 775.

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

I game a lot, mostly gta IV and a bit of css + mw2, I do some of rendering in Sony Vegas 9. I dont really want to go through the hassle of buying a new motherboard either, I just got the 750i. I don't have much money right now because I just bought a GTX 470. But I will have some soon. I've just heard that the Q9550 is a good processor

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

I have looked into those, but that would require me to buy a new motherboard, this is something that I wouldn't like to do. The core i7 does look very tempting though :)

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

I didn't think of doing that, I should try looking into the local kijiji ads. Thanks for the advice! :)

rohn_avni

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
hey just get that Q9550 quad. i was playing GTA 4 on my old P4. with every setting to low. then 3 days ago i buy intel Q8300 2.5 GHZ & GTA 4 rocks....... i am still using my old mobo as it supports Quad... i just change my processor & it changed my computing life...

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
If you live near a microcenter go get the chip from there. I think it makes perfect sense to upgrade to that chip instead of the i7/i5. If he goes that route it will be a lot more expensive due to the new motherboard/ram and the cpu.

While I see the point in not upgrading a socket 775 system at this time I do not agree with it. I would upgrade that system to the q9550 and stretch it out as long as possible. There is no need to upgrade to either socket 1366/1156 when sandy bridge and its new socket is coming very soon anyways.

My only concern is his motherboard. I do recall the nvidia chipsets not liking the Intel quad cores very much. I do not recall which chipsets or if it was all of them that had issues with the 45nm quads. You may want to look into that. Your board may limit your overclock on the q9550. I assume you will be OC'n the new chip because your 8400 was OC'd.

Solution

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

I do live about 45 minutes away from a computer store, but their prices are a bit high, I guess its better than waiting forever on shipping and/or returning something if it doesn't work or it's DOA. I used to have a job, it payed for everything in my computer but I recently quit it (due to going away with family to our cottage every weekend and trying to focus on gr. 11) and haven't got money right now, usually I would try and get a core I7 and some DDR3 ram in this situation but money is a problem.

Q9550 is my option now. I like it over other (cheaper) quad cores because of the L2 cache. I'm not quite sure what it does, but a simple google will fix that. it seems like the closets to 12mb is 8mb of the Q6600.

I might be overclocking, just a little, but I don't like messing around with voltages because it raises the temperature too much. 3.0 to 3.6ghz took no voltage changes on my 8400 :) 3.8 or 4.0 was semi-stable but it would always bsod on GTA or cpu stress tests. Temp was good because I got the Tuniq Tower 120.

Thanks for the reply :)

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

thanks :) its good to hear that. I am glad that you are happy with quad core, my friend said that quad core was bad and such but now lots of games are becoming multi-core ready. It just makes dual core inferior.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Check to see if a micrcenter is near by. Not just any ol computer store. If not order online and do not worry about the shipping. Depending on the site the shipping is actually really fast and good and sometimes free.

I only brought up microcenter because they sell them extremely cheap at those stores.

devilboy9944

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009

What do you mean by "microcenter"? the store I was talking about was pretty high end: http://canadacomputers.com/

I got my GTX 470 and my case from them