ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP - any experience?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 1:23:37 AM

Hi

I am thinking about new Fujitsu-Siemens laptop AMILO Pro V7010. I's got
really nice processor on board - 2,8 P4, mobile with HT :]
But I also got ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP (up to 128 MB shared system
memory).

Does anyone know if I can play any o new 3D games with this notebook?

Thanks for your advice and any other suggestions (laptop for programming
works)
Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 1:23:38 AM

Tommy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am thinking about new Fujitsu-Siemens laptop AMILO Pro V7010. I's
> got really nice processor on board - 2,8 P4, mobile with HT :]
> But I also got ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP (up to 128 MB shared system
> memory).
>
> Does anyone know if I can play any o new 3D games with this notebook?
>
> Thanks for your advice and any other suggestions (laptop for
> programming works)
> Tom

There are video games and then, there are video games. The truly
serious gamer would never use a loptop since it is a dead-end for
upgrades, at a very high price. The IGP series is good adapter, but it
is not a gaming adapter, IMO, YMMV.

a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 5:24:03 AM

> Tommy wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am thinking about new Fujitsu-Siemens laptop AMILO Pro V7010. I's
> > got really nice processor on board - 2,8 P4, mobile with HT :]
> > But I also got ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP (up to 128 MB shared system
> > memory).
> >
> > Does anyone know if I can play any o new 3D games with this notebook?
> >
> > Thanks for your advice and any other suggestions (laptop for
> > programming works)
> > Tom
>
> There are video games and then, there are video games. The truly
> serious gamer would never use a loptop since it is a dead-end for
> upgrades, at a very high price. The IGP series is good adapter, but it
> is not a gaming adapter, IMO, YMMV.

There are several laptops with 64MB and 128 MB of dedicated VRAM. These
machines are mostly the large desktop replacement models.

Most of the ultra-portable machines have integrated graphics with shared
memory, like the Fuijitsu mentioned above. Does anyone has experience using
an external grapics card with a docking station? That might be a way
around the slow graphics on many of the smaller machines. Dell (Latitude)
and IBM both have docking stations that will use a 1/2 length PCI card.
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 5:24:04 AM

Joe Davis wrote:
>> Tommy wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am thinking about new Fujitsu-Siemens laptop AMILO Pro V7010. I's
>>> got really nice processor on board - 2,8 P4, mobile with HT :]
>>> But I also got ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP (up to 128 MB shared
>>> system memory).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if I can play any o new 3D games with this
>>> notebook?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice and any other suggestions (laptop for
>>> programming works)
>>> Tom
>>
>> There are video games and then, there are video games. The truly
>> serious gamer would never use a loptop since it is a dead-end for
>> upgrades, at a very high price. The IGP series is good adapter, but
>> it is not a gaming adapter, IMO, YMMV.

> There are several laptops with 64MB and 128 MB of dedicated VRAM.
> These machines are mostly the large desktop replacement models.
>
> Most of the ultra-portable machines have integrated graphics with
> shared memory, like the Fuijitsu mentioned above. Does anyone has
> experience using an external grapics card with a docking station?
> That might be a way around the slow graphics on many of the smaller
> machines. Dell (Latitude) and IBM both have docking stations that
> will use a 1/2 length PCI card.

The Radeon Mobility 9000 64MB VRAM in my 2.8Ghz P4M is clearly adequate
for full screen 1280x724 3D at 30-40 fps. I console game, so I cannot
speak for the contemporary 3D games. The LCD has no visible ghosting in
the latest Comanche as an example; great sound, great display. The
latest Radeon Mobility 9X00 either are or are not, depending on who's
reviewing, improved over the 9000. I frankly don't think that there is
any improvement possible with an add-on PCI graphics card when this is
4x AGP.

That's not the point, though. I see in today's Best Buy advertisement
that a bare bones 512MB 7200rpm x 120MB HD 3.0 GHz P4 can be had for
$499, with 17 inch monitor. Upgrading this is clearly more economical
than starting with an $1800-$2200 laptop that is an upgrade dead end.
If one has the cash, go for the laptop, it probably will not disappoint
for the first year of gaming, and there are countless older compatible
games. Look at AlienWare as an example of gaming laptops. For that
matter, look at the AlienWare forum for real-world gaming and
reliability experience.
http://notebookforums.com/ - alienware section.

a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 11:44:19 AM

Aferall I came to conclusion that it will be much cheaper to upgrade my
desktop computer in order to play than buying laptop with appropiate
accelerator now.

> > There are several laptops with 64MB and 128 MB of dedicated VRAM.
> > These machines are mostly the large desktop replacement models ...

Thanks for your advice.
Tommy
!