Fresh SSD OS Installtion Issue

zealus

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I recently purchases an Intel 520 SSD 120GB last night. I read most of the current guides on the process for installing a new OS to an SSD. I missed one step. I left my old HDD connect last night when while I installed Windows from an USB Stick. I have seen guides listing a step to remove my HDD while installing Windows on the SSD. The instllation was flawless so far and I have only run into one problem and I don't know if it's related. When entering BIOS on my Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen 3 Motherboard to set the SSD as the first drive to boot it will not work. I went into advanced options and moved the boot priority up for the SSD to the top and my computer is still booting into HDD. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

A 100MB System Reserved partition was probably created on your HDD instead of your SSD during the Windows install.

Do a fresh install with just the SSD connected. Make sure the SSD is connected to one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports in AHCI mode, not one of the Marvell 6Gb/s ports.

After installation is complete connect your HDD, verify your 1st boot device is your SSD, boot into Windows, go to Disk Management and delete the System Reserved partition from your HDD.

zealus

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Since this is a SSD would I still delete the partition and quick format the SSD before re-installing Windows? I've heard people comment on how formatting is not good for a SSD.