Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AVCHD Editing Desktop

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2010 8:46:17 PM

Hi guys, I'm hardly a hardware expert and I need some advice on setting up my new desktop. It’s been a while and I haven't kept up with hardware advances. I work for a non-profit organization and this will be my last opportunity to upgrade my hardware for at least 2-3 years, I was told to "make it count." I don't want to go crazy on the cost but it is more important to get a system that will handle everything smoothly.
I am running the Adobe CS2 Production Studio Premium (I will be upgrading to CS5 before long, probably the Master Collection - Premiere, After Effects, PhotoShop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, etc) as well as FileMaker Pro 11, Corel ULead VideoStudio 11 Plus (I plan on upgrading to VideoStudio Pro X3). I'd also like to add Painter 11 to the mix down the line.
I will primarily be using Photoshop and Illustrator (I want to be able to run both programs at the same time) but we want to start producing our own broadcast quality advertisements as well as video for the web and, down the line, documentaries on DVD and Blu-Ray.
For video we will mostly be using a Panasonic HDC-SX5. I will be giving my desired specs to our IT guy and he will assemble the computer himself.
I'd like to thank you all in advance and please let me know if I need to provide you with any additional information.
Matt Isaacks

More about : avchd editing desktop

May 2, 2010 9:25:18 PM

Also, I would appreciate any advice in regards to OS. I like XP but would considera move to Windows 7. Pros and Cons of running a 64-bit system?
Related resources
May 2, 2010 10:34:36 PM

Budget - I was told to spend money and my best guess would be around $3,000.
Is Windows 7 fairly stable? I'm still having Vista Nightmares.
An LCD Would be nice, yes.
It is for Pro level work, however, nothing to crazy.
And yes, RAW and HD.

Thanks for your time.

Best solution

May 2, 2010 11:33:07 PM

Quote:
Is Windows 7 fairly stable? I'm still having Vista Nightmares.

Yes. Even Vista is stable. The problem Vista got a bad rep was people were trying to run it on ancient PCs and driver support by 3rd party manufacturers $ucked even after a few months from release.

Btw, I'm running Photoshop CS5 (Trial) x64 on both Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 x64 and both are VERY stable. Note: CS5 Trial is now available. I'v been playing with Content Aware fill for a while with it. Seems pretty good for simple content filling, just don't expect any thing massively complex to be filled (ie like removing the trees from this image: http://thehalobender.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/eiffel... ) correctly with Content aware.

Here's an example of my work with content aware fill:
Took me ~3 minutes to do this:

Before:

After:

Amazing eh?

For $3k, you can easily get a 2P workstation. But me thinks that may be an overkill since you aren't running Maya,etc. HOWEVER, I DO NOT know how CS5 Premiere/Photoshop etc will scale with more cores.

Anyways for in the meantime for ~$1100k,
AMD build:
AMD Phenom II X6
ASUS AM3 EVO 790X
4*2GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws (Total of 8GB)
Intel X25-M G2 80GB for OS + essential programs (CS5 suite)
4x Samsung F3s 1TBs in RAID 01 for scratch disk and storage
HAF 922
Hyper 212+ heatsink
Corsair 650TX
nVidia GTS240 or better card (Go nVidia since CS4/CS5 have CUDA acceleration, makes Zoom,etc MUCH smoother)
Any decent Blu-ray burner and a good card reader
Windows 7 x64.

Intel Build ~$1200-1300:
i7 930
ASUS P6T SE
6*2GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws (Total of 12GB)
+++Everything below is the same to AMD build +++
Intel X25-M G2 80GB for OS + essential programs (CS5 suite)
4x Samsung F3s 1TBs in RAID 01 for scratch disk and storage
HAF 922
Hyper 212+ heatsink
Corsair 650TX
nVidia GTS240 or better card
Any decent Blu-ray burner and a good card reader
Windows 7 x64

I will look in to how CS5 will scale with a Nehalem based 2P set up.

edit:
Prices are in USD and based on Newegg prices mainly.
May 3, 2010 4:54:04 PM

Sorry, I ended up closing down the office and heading home for the night also I was just informed that I have to order through Dell as they have a relationship with our organization.
First, let me say thanks for the help and secondly if you can modify your recomendations based on the following new information:
Must order through Dell, programs to be used most often: PhotoShop and Illustrator CS2 (CS5 in the next 7 months), VideoStudio 11 (Premiere, After Effects in next 7 months), and down the road I would be interested in getting into Maya and/or Lightwave.
Again, thanks, I appreciate you taking time to offer advice.
Matt
May 3, 2010 7:10:25 PM

Update:
I think I've got the best system set-up I'm going to get figured out now and I wanted to say thanks again to Shadow703793 for your help, I needed it.
Great site guys, keep it up.
Matt
May 13, 2010 5:25:08 PM

Best answer selected by mcisaacks.
May 13, 2010 5:29:32 PM

what did you end up going with?
!