Sign in with
Your question

Are apple components better?

Last response: in Components
July 9, 2010 9:02:57 PM

quality?
longevity?
i think theyre about the same. what do u think.
this is a DISCUSSION
state ur opinion and dont flame others for having different ones. :) 

More about : apple components

July 9, 2010 9:39:36 PM

They are the same hardware, you can use the PC equivalents. The reason it seems like they might be better is because by limited what components are in the system you can make optimized drivers that play nicer with everything in the system. Your average computer component has a fairly long lifespan so it would be hard for them to have better longevity especially without owning their own fab and making their own ICs.
July 9, 2010 9:40:52 PM

yeah thats what i thought. that macs are pcs with a different os and a shiny case with a fruit on it.
Related resources
July 9, 2010 9:50:41 PM

ct1615 said:
yes they are better

apple uses components from such companies as intel, ATI, Nvidia, Foxconn. PCs just don't have that kind of access to components.

P.S. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/your

what?
first off all, of course pcs uses intel, ati, nvidia, and foxconn! so the 1st half of that post makes no sense!
alsol, the 2nd half makes no sense cuz its random, and has nothing to do with computers :) 
like totally 100% wtf?
July 9, 2010 9:52:34 PM

Apple does use higher end components. These component work fine in PCs as well. Most of the marketing is based on the fact Mac fanboys compare Macs to cheap Acer and Dell computers while ignoring the other high end PCs that tend to give you a LOT more performance for your dollar. Its all what you compare it to. A Honda Civic is fast compared to a golf cart...
July 9, 2010 10:04:00 PM

shovenose said:
what?
first off all, of course pcs uses intel, ati, nvidia, and foxconn! so the 1st half of that post makes no sense!
alsol, the 2nd half makes no sense cuz its random, and has nothing to do with computers :) 
like totally 100% wtf?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm
July 10, 2010 5:20:59 AM

To be honest, I really don't care about Apple. All I really need a PC for is to run Open Office and play mp3's. Cheapest Apple is the Mac Mini at $700 without monitor. For $700, I can build a new PC running Ubuntu with a nice monitor, or order a Windows system with monitor from an OEM.
July 10, 2010 5:25:57 AM

Don't forget that some Apple computers are also made in China, and they do in fact use the same components as other OEMs do. Quality control may be different though.
July 10, 2010 6:54:15 AM

Well for me, Apple just has components that look better.
Technically, on par or worse, with any other manufacturer.
Up till now, the only true revolutionary technology that Apple has come out with is the iPod. But nowadays, even that has become redundant, due to the advent of cellphones / smartphones.
July 10, 2010 8:50:46 AM

Yes Ksampanna but until we stem the tide of media and photography based students macs sadly wont go away :'( 
July 10, 2010 10:29:59 AM

ksampanna said:
Well for me, Apple just has components that look better.
Technically, on par or worse, with any other manufacturer.
Up till now, the only true revolutionary technology that Apple has come out with is the iPod. But nowadays, even that has become redundant, due to the advent of cellphones / smartphones.

absolutely agree, apple has done a very good job of making a brand name , and I think everyone here must agree that the look great , I have a macbook pro , but I generally use xp on it because OSX SUX
July 10, 2010 5:50:07 PM

1st warning. Don't use insulting language or this thread will be closed.
July 10, 2010 6:12:06 PM

apple is JUST a PC with a fruit on it.
There is nothing special about them
they do not preform well compared to a PC of the same price
their users are usually 45yr olds living with their mothers, that cant grow facial hair
or they are JUST used in the movies so that Brad Pitt doesnt have to worry about being cockey, because he looks as though he is making a world saving decision on his CrapBook Pro...

PS: i am not a fanboy of anything and post only the facts...
July 10, 2010 10:42:58 PM

p4nz3rm4d said:
apple is JUST a PC with a fruit on it.
There is nothing special about them
they do not preform well compared to a PC of the same price

agree
Anonymous
July 11, 2010 1:03:19 AM

Short answer.. NO!
December 18, 2012 11:35:12 PM

shovenose said:
quality?
longevity?
i think theyre about the same. what do u think.
this is a DISCUSSION
state ur opinion and dont flame others for having different ones. :) 

I think I have an $1199 Macbook Pro and my daughter has a $1499 Asus Zenbook. They look pretty similar, but just try using the trackpad on the Asus- Ugh !!! My MB cold boots in 10 seconds. I can turn on my computer, open Photoshop and be working on a pic while the Asus is still booting. One more thing, I can use the MB in my lap for a couple hours with no burnt thighs..Try that with a Win "laptop". Truth is most PC's aren't "laptops" at all, they're simply portable but don't function very well unless used on a flat, hard surface.
December 19, 2012 2:00:09 AM

floydrharper said:
I think I have an $1199 Macbook Pro and my daughter has a $1499 Asus Zenbook. They look pretty similar, but just try using the trackpad on the Asus- Ugh !!! My MB cold boots in 10 seconds. I can turn on my computer, open Photoshop and be working on a pic while the Asus is still booting. One more thing, I can use the MB in my lap for a couple hours with no burnt thighs..Try that with a Win "laptop". Truth is most PC's aren't "laptops" at all, they're simply portable but don't function very well unless used on a flat, hard surface.

So your saying the Asus zenbook takes longer to boot, and creates more heat than your macbook. and somehow that = macs are better than everything. It probably creates more heat because it has a much beefier cpu, a $1199 macbook would only have a dual core cpu in it, the ASUS probably has a quad core i7. It takes longer to boot because its loading more functionality and once booted apps will start faster. You could actually do a whole lot more than just run photoshop on it also. There are 1000's of windows laptop configurations on the market, not just the asus zenbook, perhaps you should look around a little and get out of your box you live in.
!