Abit error 8.3. Doesn't start

iamkmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I was playing a game the other day when my computer just lost power.

I tried booting it up again but the fan's would spin and the LED's would come on for less than a second, then go off.

I checked the POST code, it was 8.3. which research led me to believe was a faulty power supply.

I just came back from getting a new power supply, and wouldn't you know it, the same error occurs. When the power is plugged into the motherboard, all the correct lights are on, and the POST code shows 0.1. (which i could find nothing about). The second the power button is pressed it looks like it flashes 8.8. but this is for a millisecond before it shows 8.3. Then it stays at 8.3. till i disconnect the power completely.

My CMOS battery was dead, but i tried switching the jumpers, and got a new battery, and still i cant get it to produce any error other than 8.3.

Anyone have any suggestions or have run into the same or similar situation? As most of you are probably aware, it kills me having my baby dead....

Here's the build:
- ABIT AN932X mobo
- 720W Hiper PSU (now using an Owltech Everest 85 Plus 620W)
- 2 x OCZ PC2 6400 SLI Ready 2GB
- EVGA 8800 GT
- AMD Athlon x64 1.6 GB Dual Core (a 5000 series).

iamkmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

yes i did, when i was picking up another PSU i got a new battery as well.

iamkmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
i see... the post code when i first plug in the power is disturbing. "0.1." and there is no info about that in the manual.

sucks that im in japan now, and dont know japanese AND wont have until next weekend to go back to the shop because of work.

I'll try returning the PSU and get a new mobo... i dont think i can get abit here, plus they have been shifting their focus to onboard everything. i've used abit for 8 years or so...

we'll see... any other opinions would be most appriciated. im seriously lacking money and just want to get my rig back up as quickly and cheaply as possible.

iamkmac

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
the issue was actually my video card. tried new PSU and new MOBO.

best bet is to start your computer with just your CPU, then add memory, hard drives, etc. once i added video card, it wouldn't start.

TRENDING THREADS