rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
my new build wont post. this is the fourth new computer I have built and first time I've had a no post. I have upgraded/swapped memory video cards and CPUs on many occasions.

from the powersupply manual "The power supply unit has an 8-pin +12v aka "EPS12v" cable.
a) if your mobo has an 8-pin +12v socket connect the cable directly to your mobo
b) If your mobo has a 4pin socket detach the 4pin from the 8pin cable, and then plug the correct 4-pin directly to your motherboard."

Well I have the 4-pin connect and the two connectors looked identical so I just plugged one in. Only after not posting and searching for answers did I notice that one of the plastic connectors has a small dot of paint and two square and rounded connectors that match the receptacle on the mobo. of course I plugged the other one in first. Is it possible that this somehow did some damage?

here is the list of parts..
19-103-706-03.jpg
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor Model ADX630WFGIBOX $100

13-131-398-02.jpg
ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO/U3S6 AM3 AMD 785G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard $120

20-231-193-05.jpg
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ $110

22-152-181-02.jpg
Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" $80

32-116-758-01.jpg
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM $140

24-236-083-02.jpg
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor $200

11-156-061-18.jpg
RAIDMAX Sirius ATX-701WS Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower $80

17-139-008-13.jpg
CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified $40

Solution
Hello,

We are sincerely sorry you are having some issues with your new build ...

VERY nice presentation, BTW ! ...

Some folks get mad when I post this link ... but the proven fact is that using this checklist is THE fastest and surest way to get you up and running. ... This happens ALL the time and ShortStuff has compiled ALL our best (pro-fessional) advice into one, concise, METHODICAL document ... IT WORKS ! (Trust That).

We COULD just go back and forth ... with techs of various abilities, asking this or that and taking wild stabs at solutions ... BUT ... Take it from a Veteran, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

This ain't busy-work ... It ain't a blow-off ... it is a way to eliminate/divide/&conquer ... to absolutely solve...

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Hello,

We are sincerely sorry you are having some issues with your new build ...

VERY nice presentation, BTW ! ...

Some folks get mad when I post this link ... but the proven fact is that using this checklist is THE fastest and surest way to get you up and running. ... This happens ALL the time and ShortStuff has compiled ALL our best (pro-fessional) advice into one, concise, METHODICAL document ... IT WORKS ! (Trust That).

We COULD just go back and forth ... with techs of various abilities, asking this or that and taking wild stabs at solutions ... BUT ... Take it from a Veteran, THIS IS THE WAY TO GO.

This ain't busy-work ... It ain't a blow-off ... it is a way to eliminate/divide/&conquer ... to absolutely solve or isolate your fault.

We are not afraid to type (as you can see) and, we are right here, to consult and for any clarifications.

PLEASE! ... dedicate a pad of paper to this process and start taking notes as of this moment! ... This is like a Physics word problem ... some knowns ... many variables.

If this process is not METHODICAL AND ABSOLUTE (not fuzzy), Then, you'd best fetch yer sleeping bag and a harmonica. ... ? Comprende ?

PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems!

"System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

This checklist is a compilation of troubleshooting ideas from many forum members. It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to effectively troubleshoot your problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

= Alvin Smith = (PS: Don't forget to write ! )

Solution

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
So far

1 CHECK
2 CHECK
3 CHECK
4 CHECK on board video
5 check see #4
6 CHECK sort of I haven't tried every slot but just one stick and switched to the other stick in a couple of different slots.
7 CHECK
8 CHECK according to my manual it doesn't matter which slots I use?
9 umm I didn't see a plastic guard and if I missed it I can't imagine that the cpu would plop down into the holes and I would be able to lock the lever!?!
10 CHECK CHECK CHECK - it only fits one way (without force)
11 no CHECK
12 CHECK - the cpu fan is spinning :)
13 CHECK
14 no CHECK
15 well I can't be positive - but I would be shocked if static electricity caused this :(
16 there is a speaker connector and it is connected. but I hear no beep and I cant see the speaker but it could be hidden between a couple of panels of this case.
17 CHECK CHECK
18 CHECK fans are spinning, dvd player opens and closes.
19 ?
20 no
21 using on board video.

So of all of these #s 6 - 9 - 15 - 19 - 20 are the only possibilities and need closer scrutiny.

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
yes I had already started reading that post before you linked me to it - great read! and I had tested a few of those things already. Yes the PSU fan spins CPU fan spins and the dvd drive works the case fans that are connected to the psu work but the one case fan that uses the mobo connector did not spin.

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
yes - but - I have a 4 pin and this is what happened... and the two connectors looked identical so I just plugged one in. Only after not posting and searching for answers did I notice that one of the plastic connectors has a small dot of paint and two square and rounded connectors that match the receptacle on the mobo. of course I plugged the other one in first. Is it possible that this somehow did some damage?

Im going to check the memory and unplug the reset switch. btw the led on the front panel aren't lighting up either. I will switch the leads and report back in about 10 mins...

Thank You very much
Rodney

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Sounds like the PSU rails are all putting out (90% sure of that) .. lil fuzz there.

COULD be CPU is not seated properly ...

Also sounds like at least PART of the mobo may be shunting power to ground.
(this WOULD imply a screw or standoff making contact, somewhere it shouldn'r ... OR ... that standoffs were not used at all (it happens!).

Finally ... some other device (even one of the drives or cards) could be dragging it down. That would mean to REALLY AND ACTUALLY breadboard the system ... to build and test, from the screws up ... one component at a time.

Initially, we can go with the assumption that the CPU & HSF are properly mounted AND we might assume all rails on the PSU are good. (Assume, for NOW, that is).

We NEED (absolutely) at this point, to REMOVE the mobo and get it clear of the chassis ... On that piece of foam, it came with ... outside the case ... yup.

... We want the mobo+CPU+Cooler+One RAM stick+PSU+spkr ... nothing else ... no drives ... no GPU ... no case ... AND NO CASE HEADERS or PANEL CONNECTORS ...

... A serious pain ... We HAVE to try to prove the mobo is GOOD ... That is what we are doing, here ... The mobo is now suspect ... pull everything ... strip it down ... take it out ... You may have to RMA it anyway ... prolly not, tho.

If you have access to a similar platform (anywhere/anyone within 30 miles) then you may wish to test your GPU/RAM/DRIVES there.

I would hate for the cause to be a bad speaker, after 3 weeks of TS ... if you are at Fry's, a replacement spkr prolly goes for $5.

Find a way to test the speaker or replace it ... BE ABSOLUTELY sure the speaker is in the correct pins (polarity should not matter but flip it anyway (if not "keyed").

That is my FIRST impression ...

= Al =

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
just to make sure, do the paper washers need to be used between the mobo and the screws? I didn't use them. I believe this psu has 1 rail. not the reset switch. tried swapping memory chips and a few more slots - no post.

edit; and yes the standoffs are in proper place.

I am concerned when I read that the case fan didn’t spin, the only causes for this are a faulty motherboard, faulty fan, short from the case to the motherboard or a faulty power supply (unlikely). Try removing the case fan and see if it will boot before taking the motherboard out of the case.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Well ... poopy!

I have some faith that you mobo ain't dead ... just gonna have to prove that, first. Check all the photos ... pull all those case connectors off and away ... drives ... GPU ... out!

No ... the paper washers are not required but theydo add a nice bit of snug tension ... like a mild lock-washer. ... I don't use 'em ... I prefer better grounding.

simplify to the bone ... You SHOULD be getting SOME kinda beeps ! With or without ram.

Blank Screen ? Completely? ... GPU fan spins (when it is in the x16 slot ?

= Uhg ! =

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

i re-tried the case fan on the pwr_fan connector and it worked fine. This case has some gauges on the front door that require the case fan to pug into the door gauge then the gauge plugs into the motherboard. I disconnected the front door stuff. I also disconnected the dvd player and the hdd.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
One came with your stuff ... it looks something like a black cylinder ... about the size of a stack of ten pennies ... two wires ... more like a piezo-buzzer/osc than a spkr.

You can get like, two of them for $5 at Fry's or CompUSA, etc. ... Best Buy?

... Your call ... It sure would go a long way toward a solution (or isolation) !

= Al =

Time to down-shift and simmer ... a bit ... go eat and watch an hour of TV.

Chillax and clear your mind ...

You can return the mobo ... or ... get another speaker.

We build and test, incrementally ... just one component at a time, as much as possible.

= ANYBODY GOT ? =

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Yes completely blank screen - the keyboard lights don't even flash when the power button is pressed. they do flash when I flip the power switch on the back of the psu though. ...It looks like I will have to keep going backwards and remove the motherboard then check the cpu. That will have to wait until I get a known good speaker. besides I have to leave for work in an hour. the only CompUSA in the area closed a few years ago. I head on over to Bestbuy in the morning.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And you have the speaker that came with it and it is plugged into the correct header as per the mobo manual ?

If so ... Try one stick of ram in the first slot ... the ears should flip closed all by themselves, when you push down ... (I know ... "no duh").

= doh! =

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
well "duh"

is right, after spending hours of my time driving and shopping not to find the speaker I needed - I opted for the 3$ one at radioshack that looks like a headphone speaker (only to realize that I could have ripped apart an old useless set of headphones i have laying around) but I digress and it was all in vain as all I had to do is remove the memory to hear the chassis speaker go beeeeeeeeep beep beep.

So, is this good news that my motherboard beeps? Now I'm guessing that I somehow fudged the cpu install :-/

what next???

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
no surprises here

cpu.jpg

however the heatsink went on much easier after using what appeared to be much less paste.

edit; Ok, now I get a screen = "reboot and select proper boot device bla bla bla"

1 memory chip installed in either first or last slot? dimmB1 acording to mobo.

edit2 = install 2nd mem chip in 2nd slot to far right (blue slots) dimmA1 = same screen.

edit3 = I took the plunge and connected everything and now its at the AMI setup screen!?! :-D

right now my thinking is that the layer of factory Tpaste was way to thick or there was a bad power connection even after wiggling and replugging... Dunno but it looks like its time to install the OS.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
I wish I had been here when you got home with the speaker ...

I think that is the main thing that was "WRONG" ...

... If we had the speaker attached to begin with ... we could have proceeded with TS on codes alone and the prob was more likely which video port was active, or some other "simple config" issue ... ANYWAY ...

... PLEASE get a "correct" (piezo-beeper) type spkr and keep it installed ... you Should hear it chirp every time you boot AND ... MUCH MORE IMPORTANT ... IF you ever need to TS again ... The techs who help will not be "FOOLED" by the lack of beeps ... techs may just ASSUME there is a speaker installed ... but *WE* are better than that ... HOOO-RAY !!!

SOLVED ???? Hit that button and gimme those points !

= Al =

Good Job ! ... you were patient and cooperative ... (and not too smart to be helped)

rlucky82

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
well here is the strange thing, I could only hear a slight chirp out of speaker untill I removed the memory, then with the memory still removed I plugged in the chassi speaker and it was working only much quieter. and my hearing aint that good no more! So I proceded to remove the cpu since everything else was off and check the psu connections (for like the 5th time) and now everything works.

Windows7 installed and woking to type this :eek:

Ive never used Vista and am new to 7 but I ran that "Perfromance tool"
More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor ...7.2
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB ...5.9
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4200 ... 4.6
Gaming graphics 2047 MB Total available graphics memory ...5.4
Primary hard disk 84 GB Free (100 GB Total) ...5.9
Windows 7 Professional

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total size of hard disk(s) 640 GB
Disk partition (C:) 84 GB Free (100 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 495 GB Free (495 GB Total)
Media drive (F:) CD/DVD

Graphics
Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 4200
Total available graphics memory 2047 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 384 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1663 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.632.1.2000
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Thank you Very Much for guiding me through this.

now where is that solved button???