April 4, 2010 11:40:39 PM

Hello,
Trying to determine which to get for my computer
Thanks

More about : nvidia ati radeon

a c 1411 U Graphics card
a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 4, 2010 11:46:45 PM

It depends on your specs and your monitor resolution. Right now there is a gap price-wise in the Nvidia line up.
m
l
April 6, 2010 11:13:21 PM

rolli59 said:
It depends on your specs and your monitor resolution. Right now there is a gap price-wise in the Nvidia line up.

I am trying to determine between 2 Computers to buy - one has an NVIDIA GeForce GT220 and the other one has an ATI Radeon 5750 - and I have read about both but since I am not very versed in the technical aspects of both - I was wondering is someone could shed some light as to which to choose. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 202 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 6, 2010 11:16:56 PM

Depends what you want to do with it, the GT220 is sufficient for basic office work, but certainly not gaming, the 5750 is a lot more powerful and is suitable for gaming, i suspect there is far more of a difference between the machines than just the graphics card though. List your uses and their specs and we can provide some more useful advice.
m
l
April 6, 2010 11:29:23 PM

You can't really just pick a brand and argue that its cards are better across the board - people will try and do it, obviously, but it just isn't useful. The fact of the matter is that there have been times where ATI clearly outperformed nVidia, and times where nVidia clearly outperformed ATI. At the end of the day, both companies are making cards that, for the most part, do what they are supposed to do, with pros and cons for both.

With that said, not knowing anything about your computer, or what you're going to be doing with the card, it is hard to give you any real advice.

What are your computer's specs? How big is the power supply you're using? What's the native resolution of your monitor?

What are you going to be using the GPU for? Gaming? Video editing/processing? HD Pr0n? A home theater?

And, perhaps the most important question that anyone should ever consider when choosing a video card: do you like red or green better?

E: just saw that you have a couple specific cards in mind - my questions still remain important, though. Whether or not a card is a good buy depends on what you're going to be doing with it.
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 6, 2010 11:38:11 PM

If it is for gaming the HD5750. If only internet browsing, watching movies and general office work you will be just as happy with the GT220.
m
l
April 7, 2010 12:38:02 AM

hunter315 said:
Depends what you want to do with it, the GT220 is sufficient for basic office work, but certainly not gaming, the 5750 is a lot more powerful and is suitable for gaming, i suspect there is far more of a difference between the machines than just the graphics card though. List your uses and their specs and we can provide some more useful advice.

The computer I am looking at buying has an Intel i5 processor, 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB, DVD/RW Drive power supply is 450W, CPU speed is 2.66 GHz and a multicard reader. I am trying to decide between 2 computers which have the same componenets except for one has the NVIDIA GeForce GT220 card and the other has the ATI 5750. It is for a gift and the user is not a big gamer but plays games that fight in fantasy worlds and so but not extreme and it will be used a lot for office applications as well ( spreadsheets and the likes) it will also host 2 itunes libraries. That is basically the uses. Thanks for the assistance. I am soooo not technically inclined when it comes to the specs.
m
l
April 7, 2010 12:40:21 AM

restatement3dofted said:
You can't really just pick a brand and argue that its cards are better across the board - people will try and do it, obviously, but it just isn't useful. The fact of the matter is that there have been times where ATI clearly outperformed nVidia, and times where nVidia clearly outperformed ATI. At the end of the day, both companies are making cards that, for the most part, do what they are supposed to do, with pros and cons for both.

With that said, not knowing anything about your computer, or what you're going to be doing with the card, it is hard to give you any real advice.

What are your computer's specs? How big is the power supply you're using? What's the native resolution of your monitor?

What are you going to be using the GPU for? Gaming? Video editing/processing? HD Pr0n? A home theater?

And, perhaps the most important question that anyone should ever consider when choosing a video card: do you like red or green better?

E: just saw that you have a couple specific cards in mind - my questions still remain important, though. Whether or not a card is a good buy depends on what you're going to be doing with it.

Some gaming and office apps like spreadsheets, music, remote access to office servers to download and work remotely on spreadsheets as well.
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 7, 2010 12:41:36 AM

Then select the one with the HD5750
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 7, 2010 12:47:16 AM

I would say go with the HD5750 simply for the longevity. If all other things are equal there is no advantage to the GT220, even power wise, and the HD5750 has many more features for gaming as well as non-gaming tasks (like video playback).

The only reason to go with the GT220 would've been to save money, and if that's not the case then there is no benefit.

As mentioned though it's not about A vs B manufacturer wise it's about the cards themselves. Both companies make good cards for different tasks, in this case one is just better than the other for these specific cards.
m
l
April 7, 2010 1:45:16 AM

montsie said:
The computer I am looking at buying has an Intel i5 processor, 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB, DVD/RW Drive power supply is 450W, CPU speed is 2.66 GHz and a multicard reader. I am trying to decide between 2 computers which have the same componenets except for one has the NVIDIA GeForce GT220 card and the other has the ATI 5750. It is for a gift and the user is not a big gamer but plays games that fight in fantasy worlds and so but not extreme and it will be used a lot for office applications as well ( spreadsheets and the likes) it will also host 2 itunes libraries. That is basically the uses. Thanks for the assistance. I am soooo not technically inclined when it comes to the specs.

I would drop the 8gb of ram to 6gb and get a 5770.
m
l
April 7, 2010 5:38:22 PM

restatement3dofted said:

I checked my current monitor and the native resolution is 1280 x 1024 at max 32 bit.
m
l
April 7, 2010 5:56:34 PM

montsie said:

I would say that for right now, you could safely drop down to 4GB of decent DDR3 and go with the HD 5770, or the HD 5750 and save a bit of money, assuming that customizing your configuration a bit is an option. With a core-i5 processor, you're working with 1156 architecture, which only supports dual-channel kits - so 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB are, realistically, your only options. Trying to use 3x 2GB chips for 6GB total, as another poster suggested, would cause your memory to run as single-channel. Today's games really don't need 8GB of memory to run spectacularly, and in my opinion, your money would be most effectively spent by dropping down to 4GB, and putting the extra towards a slightly better GPU or a monitor with higher native resolution.

If you can't customize your build that much, or don't want to drop your memory down, the 5750 should suit your needs just fine. The 5770 is undeniably a better value, however - which is why I recommend trying to include that in your build over the 5750 if it is an option. In any event, I can't recommend the GT220, given the added features the HD 5xxx series boasts. In that price range, the HD 5xxx series really offers the best value.

Hope this helps, and enjoy whatever you end up with!
m
l
April 18, 2010 8:23:25 PM

Thanks to ALL for your inputs. It truly helped a lot. Decided on the 5750. Thanks again.
m
l
!