boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hi there,

Put together a new HTPC with some old parts and a few new ones.

Wired everything up and when the PSU is turned on the motherboard light comes on. However, when I hit the power switch nothing happens. No fans, no hdd, no mobo, nothing.

At first I thought I had a faulty powerswitch (its an old case that has been beat up a bit) but I tested it by plugging the reset switch in as the power switch, but still nothing happened.

Any suggestions? Could it be the PSU itself? (but then why did the mobo light even come on).

Parts --
MSI p45 platinum
E8400
8 GB ram
ATI 5450
Antec Earthwatts 380 Watt psu

Solution
You can bridge the two power button pins on the motherboard to bypass the case switch. I just use a flathead screwdriver. If it starts, the case switch is bad. If it doesn't start there's something wrong with the motherboard or the ground. Have you double-checked the motherboard stanfoffs?

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Handy list. Thanks.

However I've been through everything and still nothing.

I should point out that this isn't the first time the mobo, ram, and cpu have been together, so I'm fairly sure its not something related to them or the BIOS.

Further, my issue isn't that the system won't post/boot, but rather that power doesn't seem to be getting past the mobo (recall that the mobo light is on when its plugged in, but when I hit the power switch nothing happens (fans do not turn on even).

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

Are there safety concerns with sticking a paper clip in a plugged in PSU? I see a green wire, but I also see at least 5 or six black wires :S

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Wow, cool trick!

So the psu fired up when I jumped it. So i either have a faulty power button, or there is something wrong with my front panel connections.

I find this odd because as I mentioned above, the case has been used before.

You can bridge the two power button pins on the motherboard to bypass the case switch. I just use a flathead screwdriver. If it starts, the case switch is bad. If it doesn't start there's something wrong with the motherboard or the ground. Have you double-checked the motherboard stanfoffs?

Solution

boomer2point0

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I went to short it out, and before I could even get the screwdriver to depress the second button, the whole thing kicked into gear.

The powerswitches now work correctly! (????)

Thanks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS