Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can you have two raid 0 arrays at the same time

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2011 5:23:18 AM

I have 4 SATA II drives. I have set them up to have two 2disk raid0 drives at the same time. I can't get the second array to show up when I go to "my computer" Is it possible to have 2 different raid0 arrays at the same time. I want one to be my boot drive and the other for basic storage of videos, data etc. Here is what I have set up

Asus MoBo Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366,(it has 6 sata 3.0gb ports and 2 sata 6.0gb ports that I am not using)
i7 950 cpu
6 gig of 1866mhz ram
2 150gb WD velociraptors in raid0 with win7 ultimate x64 running
2 500gb WD caviar blacks in raid0 that can't be used because windows doesn't recognize it
bd drive
850W psu

Why won't windows recognize them? They show up with a status of "healthy" in the rapid storage console and when I boot up, I can see them in the start up screen. What have I done wrong?

More about : raid arrays time

a c 89 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 6:15:56 AM

Have you partitioned them? Won't show up in my computer until they have a partition. They should be on different controllers or on a single controller that allows multiple RAIDs.

Why in the *** did you make an AID0 array "for basic storage of videos, data etc."? Quite possibly one of the worse ideas ever.
January 16, 2011 8:39:19 AM

No I haven't partitioned them because I can't figure out a way to do it. Any ideas you can provide will be great. I will have to check and see if my controller allows multiple raids. I have the intel ichr10do/pch. The reason I made a raid0 for storage is because I'm a noob and didn't know any better. What would you suggest?
Related resources
a c 89 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 9:29:49 AM

Its in disk management. Actually I think you would do it in your RAID tools.
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 2:30:25 PM

You wont be able to see drives under "my computer" no matter what they are until you partition and format, and set them to active, and assign them a drive letter in disk management, under computer management.
a c 193 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 2:30:40 PM

Have you consulted your manual ?

The section covering the Intel ICH10 controller (6 black ports) begins on page 4-6
The section covering the Marvel 9128 controller(2 gray ports) begins on page 4-11

To manipulate the volumes once created, right click on My Computer, select Manage / Disk Management
January 16, 2011 6:07:32 PM

Yes, I have read the manual and I followed those instructions to get where I am. I have gone to disc management and the drive is there but is unallocated and there is no option to format it. When I go to disk manager it reads the disk as disk 1 931.39 GB Online and in the next box it says 931.39 GB Unallocated. Under properties it says the the device is working proberly. The reason I didn't put the other raid array on the Marvell controller is when I asked Asus about using it with my 'raptors as the boot drive they said I should use the intel controller because the tranfer rate of the drives is not 6.0gb. I even found out that on the 6 sata ports that are black ports 1, 2, 5 and 6 are for bootable drives while ports 3 and 4 are for slaves. My boot array is on ports 1&2 and the other array is on 3&4. Any suggestion on how to format what appears to be a "healthy" drive would be great since they are of no use to me now. I enjoy a good challenge and so far this has been one.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 6:45:33 PM

Should be no problem having 2 sets of Raid0 drives. I have 2 sets in my P965 MB (E6400), one set with vista on it and one set with Xp on it.

Before you can format the drive unde windows disk management, you need to Initialize and partitiion it.

Also, normally two HDDs in raid 0 are bigger than what you want to set your boot drive too. What you can do is whan you set your HDD raid0 up, just select the size you want, ie 200 MB' then set the remainder up as a 2nd array. - NOTE windows will treat this as TWO HDDs, drive 0 and drive 1.

For your storge drive this is also a good thing to do. Set-up one raid array, using the default strip size. Then when you formate it also select the default cluster size (4K). On the 2nd half of the drive, set your array strip to a larger value, and when you formate it select a larger clustter size, such as 16K, or even 32 K - Use this array for your large size files, ie a dot VOB dvd movie file is typically 1 gig in size. A single blu-ray file can be as large as 30 -> 40 GIGS IN SIZE.
January 16, 2011 9:57:05 PM

Thank you, but I guess my biggest problem is I just don't know how to initialize and partition the drives. Is there an article that explains in noob terms?
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 1:09:51 AM

nosnow0850 said:
Thank you, but I guess my biggest problem is I just don't know how to initialize and partition the drives. Is there an article that explains in noob terms?
Last I recall, from Disk Management right click and select "Create Volume".

By the way, the Marvelle controller is limited to 5Gb/s combined bandwidth anyway. That's 250MB/s per drive. That's less than 3Gb/s, even if it's a 6Gb/s controller. And all THAT is because it sits on a PCIe x1 pathway.

Oh, that's assuming it's even on PCIe 2.0. Many boards use all their 5Gb/s pathways for graphics slots, so it might even be on a 2.5Gb/s pathway.
January 17, 2011 2:34:40 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have now figured out what I was doing wrong and everything is operational. Now I have but one more question.

On my boot drive in disk manager it is a simple/basic drive. Should I convert it to a dynamic drive and if yes, will it corrupt any of the information on the drive? My boot drive is a RAID0 using 2 WD Velociraptor 150GB drives.
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 2:52:53 AM

nosnow0850 said:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I have now figured out what I was doing wrong and everything is operational. Now I have but one more question.

On my boot drive in disk manager it is a simple/basic drive. Should I convert it to a dynamic drive and if yes, will it corrupt any of the information on the drive? My boot drive is a RAID0 using 2 WD Velociraptor 150GB drives.
I wouldn't convert it because last I checked that made it harder to recover data.
January 17, 2011 3:07:31 AM

All of my data has been transfered to my other disk that I was trying to format. I have very little information on either drive because I just built this machine and got it working on Friday. I have now made all my default locations for saving everything to my other drive. That being said I have no information to recover other than the OS and I have created an ISO for recovery. So in this instance would it be advantagous for me to convert it to a dynamic drive. Does a dynamic drive perform better than a basic drive?
a c 89 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 3:19:39 AM

And you'll always have your data elsewhere? I think Crashman's point was that once you have a Dynamic disk, it becomes harder to recover data. So unless this disk will ALWAYS just hold windows and no data, you're better off keeping it a basic drive.
January 17, 2011 4:15:58 AM

Sounds like good advice to me. Like I said earlier, I am a noob so thanks for helping. I won't bother you all again for a long while I hope. Thanks again for all the support.
a c 89 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 4:22:04 AM

Not a problem. Its part of why we hang out here.
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 1:14:39 PM

4745454b said:
Have you partitioned them? Won't show up in my computer until they have a partition. They should be on different controllers or on a single controller that allows multiple RAIDs.

Why in the *** did you make an AID0 array "for basic storage of videos, data etc."? Quite possibly one of the worse ideas ever.

+1 on this :non:  You just doubled the chance that you will lose all of your data, in exchange for a small increase in speed. If either drive goes bad, you have lost the data that was stored on the raid. If you HAVE to have a raid array for data storage, I recommend either a RAID1 or a RAID5 setup as this would safeguard your data. :bounce: 
a c 89 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 3:02:50 PM

If you use a good RAID controller it will read from both drives at the same time. This should give similar load times as an AID0 array. But what do I know.
January 18, 2011 1:13:14 AM

clarkjd said:
+1 on this :non:  You just doubled the chance that you will lose all of your data, in exchange for a small increase in speed. If either drive goes bad, you have lost the data that was stored on the raid. If you HAVE to have a raid array for data storage, I recommend either a RAID1 or a RAID5 setup as this would safeguard your data. :bounce: 

thanks for the reply. After reading you earlier post I decided to go with the RAID1. Thanks for the followup though.
a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 11:44:26 AM

You are welcome! Don't forget to select a "Best Answer"!

Good Luck!
January 23, 2011 8:22:28 AM

Best answer selected by nosnow0850.
!