Sign in with
Your question

Maddog 550 watt modular psu dead for a long time

Last response: in Components
July 9, 2010 11:56:08 PM

Hey guys,
Im throwing out/selling my old/broken pc components and I came across my old Maddog 550 watt modular power supply. I bought this back in July 2006 for $100 at bestbuy. At the time this power supply was absolutely amazing! For 2.5 years this incredible power supply was pulling a pc that didnt use more than 200watts rofl! So obviously it was fine. Then I switched it to a more demanding system but nothing much more. Specs of old 200watt pc:

Intel Celeron D 334
1gb ram
80gb hdd
no gpu only onboard
So as you can see nothing for 2.5 years then at the beginning of 2009 I switched it to my pc which was using a dynex 400watt power supply. New pc specs:

e5200 @ 3.8ghz
9600gso 384mb overclocked so high that it was faster than a medium overclocked 8800gt just so guys understand the power usage.
3gb ddr2
2 hdds

So i used it fine for half a year. Then I got a new hard drive. So I have the habit of not unplugging the system from the wall while working on it. So there i go removing the molex connector off one hard drive and a sata connector off the other to put the new hard drive in. I screw the new one in, replug everything. And BAMMMM! It doesnt turn on ever again! :cry:  So my oh so faithful psu died bringing me to use the old dynex 400watt psu. So now 1 year later i find the ol' dusty bastard in the closet by my old dead 6800gt :lol:  go figure its a graveyard for hardware! Ok so at the time the psu burned i did a psu jumper/hotwire test. the one where you use the metal paperclip into green and ground. I have been using this trick for a long time and i know what is supposed to happen. But nothing. nothing came out of my faithful psu. So I try again today and still nothing! has it seen the light? the light power supply land! argh! is it trash? or is there anything i can do to fix this beauty?

thanks in advance
July 10, 2010 1:29:40 AM

rofl ct1615, hahahahaha wtf do u watch! hahaha btw Every time i plug it in, the lights flash meaning something is happening! no1 can help? PLZ ANY1! Any1 know naything about psu repair? thanks
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 164 ) Power supply
July 10, 2010 1:33:59 AM

im sure you can send it to a repair shop but it sounds like its out of warranty so the cost of getting a new PSU (with a new warranty) would have a similar price.

P.S. stop buying best buy PSU. that dynex is best used as a door stop
m
l
July 10, 2010 12:58:47 PM

ct1615, ok well i guess its trash :cry:  !! i dont own the dynex 400watt psu anymore, sold it with the computer it was in. Maddog went out of buisness so warranty is not an option. anyways i ripped the seal while opening it to see if anything was burned, and no nothing was burned. Thanks again ct1615 :(  bye bye to my favorite psu.

:D 

btw everyone hates the dynex 400watt even though its very very good. It was one of the best 400watt power supplies ever made in my opinion.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 11, 2010 12:23:14 AM

well its a sucky psu anyway so i wouldnt feel too sorry for it...but i understand u liked it and u thought it was a great psu but tbh you were ripped off. $100? for a cheap 500w psu? lol!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 11, 2010 12:23:52 AM

and dynex...dont get me started :) 
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 11, 2010 2:30:16 PM

dynex :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
July 13, 2010 2:01:45 AM

um wow first off, its a 550watt psu. it costed $100 in 2006 rofl wow u guys dont read do ya...
m
l
!