Sign in with
Your question

Crucial M4 help!

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2012 8:01:03 PM

I am planning on buying the 512GB Crucial M4 SSD. I have one important question- does this SSD work with the standard AHCI drivers form Intel? On the firmware update I saw info about Micron, which also makes drivers...

More about : crucial

a b \ Driver
a c 531 G Storage
June 14, 2012 8:21:30 PM

For maximum compatibility use the drivers that came with your motherboard or that are on your motherboard manufacturer's website.

June 14, 2012 8:43:14 PM

The crucial M4's are well-known for their reliability and they are very universal in terms of capability. I can't imagine you having any issues with any of the Sata controllers... just make sure you have the latest stable firmware and have your settings on AHCI. I have been using one on an Old Asus mobo with a Marvel controller for a long time without any issues.
Related resources
June 14, 2012 8:43:40 PM

The M4 will run fine with AHCI drivers. I've always ended up installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software/driver to improve performance on the SSD.
June 14, 2012 11:22:06 PM

i also, run my SSD with the intel RST software and it runs at the advertised speeds of 550mb/s(read) and 515MB/s(write)
a b \ Driver
a c 318 G Storage
June 15, 2012 8:22:59 PM

I just installed a new 256Gb M4, it already had the latest firmware and runs at expected speeds with the Microsoft driver -- msahci -- that Windows will auto install and set to active if you have AHCI mode on in your bios.
June 15, 2012 8:37:34 PM

island55 said:
i also, run my SSD with the intel RST software and it runs at the advertised speeds of 550mb/s(read) and 515MB/s(write)

But not on a Crucial M4 correct? It has a write speed of 260 MBps...
a b \ Driver
a c 318 G Storage
June 16, 2012 12:25:54 AM

The AS SSD bench I ran had a seq read of 509 and write of 294 on an M4 256-- those are about what it does. I've got a dozen SSDs, and built machines with about 50 more, and there is no detectable difference other than benchmark numbers between any from a 3+ year old Intel 80gb to my newer Samsung 830 256, Vertex Max IOPS 240 or the latest addition of the M4 256.

Does anyone believe there is a significant real world daily experience difference between SSDs other than reliability and bricking issues?

Tom's doesn't (and neither do I from real experience): "At the end of the day, the real-world differences between SSDs in a desktop environment aren't altogether very different. The most important jump happens when you go from a hard drive to (almost) any SSD. With that said, there are differences between SSDs, but they have to be digested as a sum of many parts. Within individual apps, you'll hardly notice the difference between a Vertex 2 and Samsung's 830. But if you look at performance over an entire month, you will find the 830 to be a faster performer." http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-...

Any good drive will do and be far superior to a HDD. Don't get me wrong, I love HDDs for mass storage in a big RAID 5 or 6 NAS array, just not for my OS drive. My days of 0 RAIDed Raptors are long over. :) 
a b G Storage
June 16, 2012 12:32:02 AM

I agree with everyone's comment.

My short answer, the ACHI drivers will work with the Crucial M4. You can update the software/driver by downloading the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from Intel's website.
June 16, 2012 9:20:14 AM

The 'problem' is that I do not have SATA 3 available, only SATA 2. But after looking at the review on this website comparing the two, it seems like the difference is extremely small, so still worth it I hope?
a b \ Driver
a c 318 G Storage
June 16, 2012 3:10:24 PM

^ +1

It is a great upgrade even if you use it on a SATA II port for now.
a b G Storage
June 16, 2012 11:22:02 PM

+1

Using my M4 on SATA II, and its fast
June 21, 2012 11:42:08 PM

Hi guys,girls.. I have some questions.. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA Z68P-DS3 Rev2.1.. Can I buy a 64Gb Crucial CT064M4SSD3 mSata card? On what things I have to see if it fits(compatibel) and does it boost your gaming performance aswell?? Sorry for bothering,I am still learning everything about the basics!
a b G Storage
June 22, 2012 1:43:27 AM

Chink411 said:
Hi guys,girls.. I have some questions.. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA Z68P-DS3 Rev2.1.. Can I buy a 64Gb Crucial CT064M4SSD3 mSata card? On what things I have to see if it fits(compatibel) and does it boost your gaming performance aswell?? Sorry for bothering,I am still learning everything about the basics!

SSD's in general makes everything quicker to open and load faster, it does not increase performance of gaming. For example, loading levels in games are much faster in an SSD than an HDD. Also, recon is correct, create another thread.
a c 353 G Storage
June 22, 2012 2:03:25 AM

olivierhacking "But not on a Crucial M4 correct? It has a write speed of 260 MBps " Seq read is what most are talking about, and it is 500+.

1) The older MBs with Intel sata II and the older marvel SATA III controller - Recommend you use the Intel Sata II ports. The old marvel conroller is not that good.
2) Use the Intel Latest RST driver. Get it from INTEL (believe it is 10.8). Most MB support sites seem to lag in updating driver support.
Comment: You will not lose as much as benchmarks might indicate by using on a SATA II port. The Sequencial reads and the 4K-64 thrd are the only two parameters that would take a Hit. Sequencial read is only of significant importance when working with LARGE file strucyures, ie encoding a large video file.

Note: My screen shot is an OLD one (i've updated the firmware since then (0009 gave a big performance boost). This SSD is in my i5-2510M laptop. Yesterday I replaced the 2nd Drive (a 128 Gig M4) with a 256 gig M4 and will probably bench it tomarrow.
!