Powersupply enough?

jbjarko

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hello all. New here. Been doing quite a bit of reading. As a youngster, I used to build computers with my uncle, well he helped me build mine :) Kinda got out of it as life went on and interests went elsewhere. Been a Mac guy for the past 7 years or so, but would like to build a new desktop platform witha 1055T on an 890GX. I will be upgrading to a 5000 series Radeon down the road. I already have a case, old school CDRW and Harddrives that could get me by until I upgrade to a SSD or other Highspeed HD, BluRay, etc. Will a 430W PS be enough to get me rolling? I'm a college student, so I don't have the largest budget. Would like to get atleast a PC up and running, and not have to wait and collect tons of parts. Thank you.

Josh

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I doubt it. You would need atleast 450w for the 5770 example below (certainly a bit less for lower end vid cards) and one with a 6 pin connector. I don't know how old your power supply is but it might not have one.

"450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)"