Software to back up 2TB hard drive to another 2TB hard drive?

jimster99

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have a 2TB hard drive which I back up to another 2TB hard drive using the Windows "copy" function (I don't need to copy system files, operating systems or anything like that - just music and photographs, etc).

However this is driving me mad, because if there are any problems I have to recopy the entire hard drive (either that, or figure out what's already been copied, which would take hours).

Is there a good program which can just do a batch copy of everything on one hard drive to another, and if there are any problems, only copy files which haven't already been copied? I've tried googling and lots of RAID style or "drive clone" programs pop up - but I just need a simple, free, batch copy program. There must be one, surely?

Thanks!

ebbote59

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
There is a simple program Easeus, free download, that will clone one disk to another, then you can delete what ever you don't want.

jimster99

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I have a 2TB hard drive used for storage which I back up to another 2TB hard drive using the Windows "copy" function (I don't need to copy system files, operating systems or anything complicated - just folders containing documents, music and photographs, etc).

However this process is driving me mad, because if there are any problems during the copying process (as there often are) I have to restart the whole thing (either that, or figure out what's already been copied, which would take hours).

Is there a good program which can just do a batch copy of selected files from one hard drive to another, and if there are any problems, only copy files which haven't already been copied? I've tried googling and lots of RAID style or "drive clone" programs pop up - but I just need a simple, free, batch copy program. There must be one, surely?

Thanks!

jimster99

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks - I'm giving it a go now.

jimster99

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
Actually, Easeus doesn't quite do what I want. It creates a backup file which can be restored, when what I want is a program which will simply copy a huge number of files to another location - I know Windows can do this with the "copy and paste" function, but it's flakey and if it crashes halfway through you have to restart (or manually figure out which files have already been copied, which takes too long when you have a lot!). Any other suggestions?

ebbote59

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012

Easeus clones the drive exactly, not a backup file. I have used it to clone my laptop HD to an ssd and it booted right up, exact copy bootsector and all.

jimster99

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Indeed - but a clone is not what I need either. I need to copy a large number of files from two different hard drives (but not the entire hard drive) onto a single back up hard drive, and therefore cloning won't work.

Mauricio de Cunto

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014

I don't know SyncToy and Bvckup yet. I'm using Teracopy for years and you can create multiple copy or move sessions, pause each one, All the process in faster than original copy command. I think you will like it. It's a good alternative.

USAFRet

Titan

SyncBack Free.
Point it at source and target folders, give it a schedule, done.

Daniel Omiyi

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

USAFRet!!!!!!! Thank you for a shining answer to jimster99's awesome question. I am using the program "Sync Back Free."

Success? Yes and no! This is where my question lies...

Question. The folders...are being copied from my first portable drive (1TB), to my second portable drive (2TB)...JUST THE FOLDERS! No content (Movie, Music, Pictures) are being carried...I used the (Mirror) option in the program.

How do i fix that?

USAFRet

Titan

That is strange. Not sure of a 'fix', because I have no idea what may be wrong with it.