Sign in with
Your question

Software to back up 2TB hard drive to another 2TB hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2012 9:47:16 PM

I have a 2TB hard drive which I back up to another 2TB hard drive using the Windows "copy" function (I don't need to copy system files, operating systems or anything like that - just music and photographs, etc).

However this is driving me mad, because if there are any problems I have to recopy the entire hard drive (either that, or figure out what's already been copied, which would take hours).

Is there a good program which can just do a batch copy of everything on one hard drive to another, and if there are any problems, only copy files which haven't already been copied? I've tried googling and lots of RAID style or "drive clone" programs pop up - but I just need a simple, free, batch copy program. There must be one, surely?

Thanks!
June 14, 2012 10:02:42 PM

There is a simple program Easeus, free download, that will clone one disk to another, then you can delete what ever you don't want.
June 14, 2012 10:07:45 PM

I have a 2TB hard drive used for storage which I back up to another 2TB hard drive using the Windows "copy" function (I don't need to copy system files, operating systems or anything complicated - just folders containing documents, music and photographs, etc).

However this process is driving me mad, because if there are any problems during the copying process (as there often are) I have to restart the whole thing (either that, or figure out what's already been copied, which would take hours).

Is there a good program which can just do a batch copy of selected files from one hard drive to another, and if there are any problems, only copy files which haven't already been copied? I've tried googling and lots of RAID style or "drive clone" programs pop up - but I just need a simple, free, batch copy program. There must be one, surely?

Thanks!
Related resources
June 14, 2012 10:53:45 PM

ebbote59 said:
There is a simple program Easeus, free download, that will clone one disk to another, then you can delete what ever you don't want.

Thanks - I'm giving it a go now.
June 15, 2012 2:57:18 AM

Actually, Easeus doesn't quite do what I want. It creates a backup file which can be restored, when what I want is a program which will simply copy a huge number of files to another location - I know Windows can do this with the "copy and paste" function, but it's flakey and if it crashes halfway through you have to restart (or manually figure out which files have already been copied, which takes too long when you have a lot!). Any other suggestions?
June 15, 2012 3:25:45 AM

jimster99 said:
Actually, Easeus doesn't quite do what I want. It creates a backup file which can be restored, when what I want is a program which will simply copy a huge number of files to another location - I know Windows can do this with the "copy and paste" function, but it's flakey and if it crashes halfway through you have to restart (or manually figure out which files have already been copied, which takes too long when you have a lot!). Any other suggestions?

Easeus clones the drive exactly, not a backup file. I have used it to clone my laptop HD to an ssd and it booted right up, exact copy bootsector and all.
June 15, 2012 12:59:21 PM

ebbote59 said:
Easeus clones the drive exactly, not a backup file. I have used it to clone my laptop HD to an ssd and it booted right up, exact copy bootsector and all.

Indeed - but a clone is not what I need either. I need to copy a large number of files from two different hard drives (but not the entire hard drive) onto a single back up hard drive, and therefore cloning won't work.
June 15, 2012 1:23:51 PM

XXCopy does a great job. Use it for my backups.
!