Sign in with
Your question

How noticable is the difference between DVI and VGA?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 3:17:35 AM

Hey Friends,

I'll be upgrading my graphic card this week (no advice needed on that) and looking for some educated opinions on whether its worth it to finally buy a DVI cable for my monitor that I have been running on VGA.
(19" LG w1942t with VGA and DVI)

Is upgrading from VGA to DVI worth it/noticeable at 1440x900 or should I just use the adapter that comes with the card to continue using my VGA cable?

Or is there a better option? (I'll be getting a mid-range card (5750/5770) with HDMI, Displayport, and 2 DVI)

Thanks!- Appreciate it.
April 5, 2010 7:39:24 PM

I recently built a system that ran a VGA with DVI adapter. I kept having screen glitches like it would flicker off then on. Also in my game of "wow" sometimes it would would get blocky (not sure if this might of been the video card). I switch to a straight DVI connection that i stole off another computer. I haven't noticed the flicker or blocky look yet but i think it gave a better picture.

The other computer I had hooked up to a TV and my monitor with the DVI and S-video. I was able to run the monitor and S-video at the same time untill i switched it to a VGA. Now i can only run one or the other. The desktop looks like crap on the TV but I mainly use it for movies and they are fine.

In all I thought the DVI gave a noticeably better picture, and if its just the cord you need and not a new monitor or video card I would say get one. You have to change the monitor to digital rather then analog if you decide to switch over. Some monitors i think do it automatically.
a c 243 U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 7:43:07 PM

Have to agree with fish_86 in that DVI gives a noticeably better picture. So yeah it is worth getting a cable for sure.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 3:50:49 AM

Thanks! ... is there variation between the cables on newegg? suggestions?
a c 243 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 6:28:07 AM

It is a digital cable..........just like HDMI. It will either work or not so no reason to buy an expensive one. Just get one from a brand you have heard of before and you should be all good.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 10:21:36 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Thanks! ... is there variation between the cables on newegg? suggestions?

If you are thinking about getting a new video card, the packaging usually includes a DVI cable, sometimes an HDMI...(usually DVI female to HDMI male adapter or vice versa). When i first bought my computer i had 8600gts 512mb SLi setup and each came w/ a DVI cable, and HDMI female to DVI male adapters. When i bought my two GTX 280's i got 2 more DVI cables w/ HDMI male to DVI female adapter.

Anywho, long story short, if you buy a up to date card, you should get the cables/adapters you need.
April 6, 2010 2:16:19 PM

BroHamBone said:
If you are thinking about getting a new video card, the packaging usually includes a DVI cable, sometimes an HDMI...(usually DVI female to HDMI male adapter or vice versa). When i first bought my computer i had 8600gts 512mb SLi setup and each came w/ a DVI cable, and HDMI female to DVI male adapters. When i bought my two GTX 280's i got 2 more DVI cables w/ HDMI male to DVI female adapter.

Anywho, long story short, if you buy a up to date card, you should get the cables/adapters you need.

I honestly can't remember the last graphics card I or my friends bought that had a DVI cable included in the packaging. DVI->VGA adapters, yes, but no actual cables.
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2010 4:09:41 AM

trkorecky said:
I honestly can't remember the last graphics card I or my friends bought that had a DVI cable included in the packaging. DVI->VGA adapters, yes, but no actual cables.

lol, i have received 1 w/ every card ive bought from Nvidia, or an HDMI cable.
!