Sign in with
Your question

No luck with processor replacement, HELP!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 10, 2010 2:26:07 AM

I'm at my wits end here and I need you're help. I've built plenty of systems and I have never run into a problem like this.

To make a long story short I have a system I built with leftover parts from other builds. I decided to upgrade the CPU so I purchased a Celeron 430 which according to ASROCK was supported by my motherboard with the up to date BIOS. Well I swapped the CPUs and it powered up but I get no video or beep codes.

I performed the normal troubleshooting and pulled all components but the cpu and psu and powered up... no beep codes at all. I swaped the cpu out for the old one to make sure my MB speaker was working and sure enough I got the beep codes for no memory. At first I thought it was a DOA CPU so I had it RMAd, when the replacement came in I had the exact same issues. After talking to ASROCK tech support and getting nowhere I decided I would purchase a new board.

Foxconn P41A-G came in today, I put the new CPU in it and powered it up. As soon as the psu kicks on it lets out a continuous beep from the MB speaker. Its a continuous steady tone w/ no breaks which does not match any of the foxconn beep codes they have published. I tried w/ memory (4 sticks of various brands) and w/o memory same outcome. And still no video when I stick a vid card in it... The only thing I have not tried is another powersupply but I can't figure out how a power supply could work with one processor and not with another... the old one is a Celeron D 326. Any ideas anyone? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Update w/ some specs

Old system that worked
MB: AsRock Conroe xFire eSataII...
CPU: Ive had a E6600 in it and a Celeron D326 lately
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 & lately Mushkin Enhanced Extreme Performance (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800
GPU: EVGA 256-P2-N733-LR GeForce 8400 GS
PSU: HEC HP585D 585W ATX12V

New system that does not
MB: Tried the above one as well as a Foxconn P41A-G
CPU: Celeron 430 & the Celeron above
RAM: All ram from above as well as a stick of crucial DDR2 800 I have laying around
PSU: Same as above
RAM: Same as above as well as a ATI HD5450
a c 159 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 2:53:25 AM

Why are you mixing ram? I would stick to using identical sticks in pairs. Sell the leftover stick that doesn't match or use it for testing only.
m
l
a c 900 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 3:02:07 AM

Does the old board still work with the D326?
If so maybe the 430 is faulty. If the new board works with neither CPU maybe it is faulty to.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2010 3:07:19 AM

haha, I'm not mixing ram... just saying the old system worked with both sets the new one works with nothing. I tried one stick at a time, kingston, mushkin, crucial none of which worked.

The old system (board) works perfectly with the D326 (except for being painfully slow since I installed vista). I have not tried the new board with the D326, i was too pissed to take it off the old board... thats my next step tonight.

I have allready had the 430 replaced when I was working with the AsRock board, both had the exact same issue. I find it hard to believe I would get two bum processors in a row. I guess anything is possible.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 4:23:20 AM

I'm not familiar with the CPU in question, so I'm not sure if this applies or not. Do you remember when people were OCing the cr@p out of the P4D 805? At the time it was a $100 dual core you could get up to 4GHz. People thought it was great until they realized that you could do the same thing with the 820. It was a bit more expensive, but you could hit 4GHz on air and it wasn't as hot. There was a problem however.

Some boards couldn't handle the 20x Multiplier of the 820. It would either use a wrong multiplier, or it wouldn't boot at all. I'm wondering if your modern P41 based board is having issues with a Celeron 430. Perhaps there is some setting for that chip that doesn't work with that board.
m
l
July 10, 2010 5:43:16 AM

The Celeron 430 is just a low end processor based on the conroe-L core and is listed on Foxconn's site as compatible with the P41A-G (same goes for the AsRock MB for that matter). Now that I think of it the D326 is not listed as compatible with the P41A-G, I don't think I'm going to bother testing the board with it... I could rip the E6600 out of the system I'm on now and test with that but then I'd have no working PCs... I would of went such a different route with this system if I knew it was going to be such a pain.

Any other ideas? The only thing I have left to try is a new PSU... off to FRYs tomorrow.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
July 10, 2010 1:11:15 PM

My local craigslist has a celeron 420 for only $15. I wouldn't invest any more in your new board or celeron cpu. Not worth it, unless you want a spare ps.
m
l
July 10, 2010 2:42:43 PM

Yeah, that thought also crossed my mind. Disappointing to say the least, maybe I'll grab a core 2 quad...

This was supposed to be a cheap upgrade... haha its turned into an all new build! Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
m
l
July 10, 2010 8:57:14 PM

So, I'm relieved to say it's finally up and running... with a Core 2 Quad Q9300 :D  . Still no idea what was going on with the Celeron but I don't care at this point.
m
l
!