Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

T-Mobile Cell Modem Card for Laptop?

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 6:48:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am thinking of getting a cell modem card so that I can access the Internet
from my laptop when I am not in a hotspot area. Apparently T-Mobile is the
cheapest by far. But since you don't get something for nothing, what am I
missing? Any other considerations relevant to a cell modem card? If this
isn't the right newsgroup for this, please refer me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 6:48:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Alan,

I am using the Sierra Aircard 750 /w T-Mobile service to send this
message. The major drawback of the Aircard is that the speed is about
40Kb. I travel extensively, and have only found one place so far where
my Aircard doesn't work. At $29.95 a month for unlimited access, I can
put up with the speed.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
~ He esteems too lightly



Alan Bell wrote:

| I am thinking of getting a cell modem card so that I can access the
| Internet from my laptop when I am not in a hotspot area. Apparently
| T-Mobile is the cheapest by far. But since you don't get something
| for nothing, what am I missing? Any other considerations relevant
| to a cell modem card? If this isn't the right newsgroup for this,
| please refer me.
|
|
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFBV4OL6bFq6mlbLOwRAlUJAJ4/fpy4xHvlCxsjY046HnawTjzlEQCgiryf
lfPpnS6t6DmelH2MgUKLoBI=
=oE7y
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
September 27, 2004 6:58:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Alan Bell <alanbno2spam@blk.com> wrote:
: I am thinking of getting a cell modem card so that I can access the Internet
: from my laptop when I am not in a hotspot area. Apparently T-Mobile is the
: cheapest by far. But since you don't get something for nothing, what am I
: missing? Any other considerations relevant to a cell modem card? If this
: isn't the right newsgroup for this, please refer me.

Well...if you're used to WiFi, the speed of your cell connection is
going to disappoint you, I think. I use Verizon with my phone to put
my laptop on the internet and it's not fast (lately, latency is
terrible). I can't imagine T-Mobile is any better...

You might do what I did and get a new phone with a cell modem in it,
instead of getting the separate PC Card. Not sure what kind of plans
T-Mobile offers, but I can use just my voice minutes with Verizon to
be on the net (i.e. unlimited evenings/weekends) for no extra cost.
Perhaps they have a plan where you could do the same, in a pinch.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 9:19:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I, too, am using a PCMCIA cell-modem card (The Sony Ericsson GC 75).
And I am also connected to T-Mobile's network for data only. I have
found the card, and T-Mobile's service extremely helpful. In addition
the tech support people at both Sony-Ericsson and also at T-Mobile have
been very helpful and knowledgeable on the several occasions that I have
had to call them.

I have used this card on two laptops, one with win2000, and the other
with WinXP Pro (both IBM laptops).

In addition, my reason for the GC-75 card was that it will also work in
Europe on their GSM networks.

Currently I am using the 5 MB monthly plan ($19.95), but T-Mobile
conveniently lets me switch back and forth to the unlimited plan
whenever I am out of town and using it more frequently. In summary, I
am quite happy not only with T-Mobile, but also with the modem card.
Mahl

Oh yes, when using the card I try to use programs with few graphics. I
turn off a lot of the Microsoft Internet Explorer graphics, and for a
mail program I then use Eudora. All of this increases the speed of data
exchange.

C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi Alan,
>
> I am using the Sierra Aircard 750 /w T-Mobile service to send this
> message. The major drawback of the Aircard is that the speed is about
> 40Kb. I travel extensively, and have only found one place so far where
> my Aircard doesn't work. At $29.95 a month for unlimited access, I can
> put up with the speed.
>
> Ciao . . . C.Joseph
>
> That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
> ~ He esteems too lightly
>
>
>
October 3, 2004 10:58:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I use theMerlin G-100 T-Mobile card, and also have a cellphone. With
T-Mobile I always get a 56K connect, and transfer rates have so far
never been lower than about 40 Kbps, but usually closer to 50, and it
has gone up over 70 for short periods. My cellphone cellphone
connects at 14,400 baud (it's Sprint, not GPRS but CDMA), and it's
transfer rates are usually 10 Kbps or less).

Advantage of T-Mobile is obvious, you don't need a separate ISP for
access through a dial up number (unless your phone is GPRS capable).

I have yet to find a place where the T-Mobile would not connect but
have not tried except in urban areas. Even if you go to places like
Charleston which do not have T-Mobile cell service, the card still
works just fine there. I got my card from E-Bay for about $80 total,
they stick a low price but add $12 shipping for a tiny package.
T-Mobile has a $35 setup fee, and with all the hidden costs the
monthly bill you get from T-Mobile is closer to $33 than $30.

Now I'm trying to locate one for use in Europe.




On 27 Sep 2004 02:58:42 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>Alan Bell <alanbno2spam@blk.com> wrote:
>: I am thinking of getting a cell modem card so that I can access the Internet
>: from my laptop when I am not in a hotspot area. Apparently T-Mobile is the
>: cheapest by far. But since you don't get something for nothing, what am I
>: missing? Any other considerations relevant to a cell modem card? If this
>: isn't the right newsgroup for this, please refer me.
>
>Well...if you're used to WiFi, the speed of your cell connection is
>going to disappoint you, I think. I use Verizon with my phone to put
>my laptop on the internet and it's not fast (lately, latency is
>terrible). I can't imagine T-Mobile is any better...
>
>You might do what I did and get a new phone with a cell modem in it,
>instead of getting the separate PC Card. Not sure what kind of plans
>T-Mobile offers, but I can use just my voice minutes with Verizon to
>be on the net (i.e. unlimited evenings/weekends) for no extra cost.
>Perhaps they have a plan where you could do the same, in a pinch.
>
>Andrew
October 3, 2004 11:10:23 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mahlon; Can you advise where you picked up your GC 75, was it
in US?

Jim



On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:19:14 GMT, Mahlon Wagner
<mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Sony Ericsson GC 75
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 10:01:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi Jim,

Actually I bought it in the UK---and I'll cut and paste the order. I
found this company most reputable and helpful
Mahl

And as I may have mentioned, I purchased this particular card because it
also has the capability of functioning in Europe

Good luck
---------------------------------------------------------

This order has been placed with eXpansys on Wednesday, 5th March 2003 at
18:15 (GMT/London UK) from computer 24.24.6.19 by Mahlon W. Wagner.


If you have any queries or problems, please email
us-orderstat@expansys.com, or call 1.309.820.7913 between 8am-5pm Mon-Fri.

This information has been emailed to mwagner2@twcny.rr.com. You will
receive another email confirming the order has been dispatched.

To see the status of your order at any time please visit this URL:

Item Qty Stock Price Total
-------------------- ----- ------------ -------------- --------------
GC75 1 In Stock 331.79 331.79
-------------------- ----- ------------ -------------- --------------

Shipping Info 8.00
--------------
339.79

These prices are in US Dollars (USD).

You have chosen to pay by credit card.

Thank you for using eXpansys.


Jim wrote:
> Mahlon; Can you advise where you picked up your GC 75, was it
> in US?
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:19:14 GMT, Mahlon Wagner
> <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Sony Ericsson GC 75
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 3, 2004 10:05:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

One more note on the GC 75 card. I am now using it in a WinXP Pro
laptop (IBM x40). And I had to go to SonyEricsson's website and get an
updated software package as well as an updated firmware package. And
their website was amazingly easy to navigate for the needed materials.

(Previously I had used the card with a Win2000 laptop (IBM R32) using
the software which came with the card at that time (a year ago).

Their tech support people were extremely helpful on this and it was very
easy to accomplish.

Mahlon Wagner wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Actually I bought it in the UK---and I'll cut and paste the order. I
> found this company most reputable and helpful
> Mahl
>
> And as I may have mentioned, I purchased this particular card because it
> also has the capability of functioning in Europe
>
> Good luck
> ---------------------------------------------------------
> This order has been placed with eXpansys on Wednesday, 5th March 2003 at
> 18:15 (GMT/London UK) from computer 24.24.6.19 by Mahlon W. Wagner.
>
> If you have any queries or problems, please email
> us-orderstat@expansys.com, or call 1.309.820.7913 between 8am-5pm Mon-Fri.

> This information has been emailed to mwagner2@twcny.rr.com. You will
> receive another email confirming the order has been dispatched.
-----------
------------
>
> Jim wrote:
>
>> Mahlon; Can you advise where you picked up your GC 75, was it
>> in US?
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:19:14 GMT, Mahlon Wagner
>> <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Sony Ericsson GC 75
>>
>>
>>
>
!