Graphics card freezes computer upon loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
I have a Clevo Desktop Replacement (D901c/NP9262) that I've been using for about two to three years. Recently, I've been using windows 7 as my OS... That is until, my little bro deleted some system files and caused a whole bunch of wack to occur.
As pissed as I was, I decided to simply reinstall windows 7; easy. Everything goes well and I have a clean install of my windows 7 again. I load my desktop and download all the drivers and programs I need.
Now here comes to problem: As usual, I go to Nvidia and download the newest driver for video cards. After installing, I restart my computer, just to find out that my whole computer now freezes after I log in.
I know for a fact that it's my video card that's giving me trouble. I've tried reinstalling windows 7 again, applying updates, tried older drivers, and I've also tried deleting other programs (to make sure they don't conflict). I can also run safe mode and load up to the login screen fine, so I know it's my GPU... I just don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long question.

Solution
I've read and heard various things about that:

10-15 minutes at 300-400 degrees, pre-heated...
That it's best roll up aluminum foil and place it at the edges so it elevates the card off the cookie sheet...
To place it directly on the oven rack...

The info seems to vary some, but it's out there. Try Youtube. I've seen some videos there. I actually saw one recently where a guy successfully baked his GTX280.

arges86

Distinguished
try older drivers...
i have win7 & the latest drivers (197.13) and haven't had any issues. Make sure you got all windows updates installed before you install the graphics card drivers...
Win7 will install some GPU drivers, but they'll prob. be out of date.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I've actually reinstalled win7; this time updating the OS first, before the GPU drivers. Still the same effect. So, I've decided to see if it's just windows or my computer. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 onto my pc, ran it, updated it, then activated the GPU (w/ pkg driver). Upon restart, I still got the same effect. The wierd thing is that when it freezes my computer, it takes the color of my background (ubuntu's default is orange, windows' is blue) and emits it onto my screen as a solid color. In other words, when I boot ubuntu my computer will freeze with a solid orange screen. A light blue screen with windows. I'm beginning to think my GPU is shot... And that's not a good thing because it's a 8800m GTX T_T....

arges86

Distinguished
yeah...
sounds like the GPU is dead
sorry to hear that, these things happen
most GPUs in notebooks are soldered in so you can't replace it. If its under warranty just RMA it. If not, take it apart, whats the worst that can happen?

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for the replies again. Yea, luckily I have a custom desktop replacement (NP9262) so I have interchange CPU, RAM, and GPUs about as easy as a desktop. I opened the lid, cleaned around a bit, put the card back in, but still no avail... It's wierd though... Even with the card, the login screen still appears perfectly at a great resolution, but it's as soon as I login that I start to see failures...

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Yea, that's what I thought. Also, I disabled Aero, but still the same results... + ubuntu's GUI itself shouldn't be taking more than windows w/o Aero anyway haha. Well, I guess that GG for me as far as I see it. I still welcome any advice of help possible though. Thanks in advance. PS- I just remembered that my GPU went wacko right after reinstalling windows 7 again to my computer. Could that have been the culprit?

Heraji

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Sounds like my old problem. When I start the computer, it freezes like 5 minutes later.. The problem was the motherboard. So it could be your problem, I don't know for sure. ^^

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Maybe it took damage when those system files were deleted. One or some of those files might have been part of your graphics tuning software (or nVidia's own software) you had installed and it got locked at some setting that killed it. As it stands, it seems it's more than likely dead.

Your reinstalls were clean installs though, right? Full format first? If not, there might be something that's somehow remained causing this to occur.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Ah, it's not the motherboard or VRAM, I know that for sure, because I don't get any problems when loading my OS without the GPU drivers. Also, I looked around on the net and see that everyone with video card failures have artifacts and/or stripes with discoloration across their screen. Oddly, I don't have any of those problems, so I am very puzzled right now, as to what's wrong with my video card. Do I have to resort to the bake method? :p

Heraji

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

Have you tried to put another card in? If you have another graphic card of course. Are you sure that it's not the RAM? Defect RAM can make a lot of wierd things. :)

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for sticking with me guys, especially this late, I really appreciate it.

To answer RazberyBandit's question: The drivers I downloaded were obtained by the Nvidia website, which as you may know requires you to specify the card before downloading a driver. In terms of clean installs... I did delete the partitions when reinstalling, but I don't think I have reformatted the drive itself.. I don't think I know how to either heh, does Ubuntu installer allow it? And would reformatting make a difference if the partition was deleted?

Heraji: I don't have another mobile GPU unfortunately. My laptop all use discrete GPUs. I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM, because I've also gone through a few memtests and memory dump examinations. The RAMs passed.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
And here I thought the D901c's had Mobile GPUs in them, not discrete cards, like the 9800M, 260M, and for yours, the 280M... Does the Sager NP9262 differ than the actual D901c laptop models I'm aware of. I'm kinda fallin asleep here and can't seem to find any decent info on it, only forums...

Anyway, I'd try the mobile drivers. Anywhere I look for "Clevo D901c" all I see for them is mobile GPUs, like the examples above. (and I've tried at least 10 different sources.) And when you enter the info at nVidia's site, you wanna end up on the Verdi page, not the GeForce/ION page. You'll want 197.16, which is a 134mb download, not 197.13, which is 110mb.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Yea, my GPU is a 8800m GTX. When you go onto the nvidia driver downloading site, it'll ask you what OS you have, which series you have, and what language. I just entered windows 7/ubuntu, geforce 8x00 notebook series, and english respectively.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Thinking on it a moment, 2-3 years with an 8800 GPU... I've run across many people who have had them that long who are on their first, sometimes second or third, replacement. That worries me...

In any case, try the 197.16 drivers, or perhaps the archived 185.85. I found them at this page by selecting Beta and Archived at the bottom, and selecting the 8800M series and 8800M GTX product. Be sure to match the OS version, too.

It's worth one final shot, I suppose. If it doesn't work out, then I suppose using 7's built-in driver instead of an official nVidia driver is an option.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Hey thanks for the help, I looked up the page and tried all the drivers and win 7 base drivers. No avail... I think I'm going to do the bake thing. I have nothing to lose lol. Do you happen to have any links on that? lol

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I've read and heard various things about that:

10-15 minutes at 300-400 degrees, pre-heated...
That it's best roll up aluminum foil and place it at the edges so it elevates the card off the cookie sheet...
To place it directly on the oven rack...

The info seems to vary some, but it's out there. Try Youtube. I've seen some videos there. I actually saw one recently where a guy successfully baked his GTX280.

Solution

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
ooo was that the big black guy? Yea, I think I'm gonna try it. Though, GPU shells are wierd, wrapped in some kinda aluminum... Gonna be a pain to take it off lol. Thanks for the info on the baking. I'll let you know on the results.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
GPU shells? You talking about the heatspreader cap over the GPU itself? If so, leave that alone! You'll do more damage removing it than has already been done.

And yeah, the last one I saw was by a thickly-built black guy. I honestly couldn't believe he just stuck it in the machine without putting the HS/Fan on it first. I was thinking, "Please don't let it boot! Holy crap it's booting!? What is he doing!?" LOL

Just be careful man... Do some research on it first.

monchan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Well I don't know if it's called the heat spreader cap, but it's like a sticker over select segments of the card (Around the core and whole backside). Do you think it'll work with it on?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Then it's not the heat-spreader cap. The cap is the part of the GPU that makes contact with the cooler. See here.

Is it a manufacturer's label with the serial number and crap on it? If so and it's paper-based, it's possible it could catch fire and burn anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.