Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to fix corrupted external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 15, 2012 12:35:52 AM

Hello, i have a problem with my external hard drive, when i plug it in my laptop.. i takes too long to acknowledge it and when i open a file it would hung, i tried to reformat my external hard drive but it says reformat unsuccessful..
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
June 15, 2012 8:34:07 PM

I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)
m
0
l
June 15, 2012 8:44:17 PM

Hi maryglythloie,

I work at a Student IT Help Desk at my school. and from my experience if your computer is unable to interact with the HDD, or it takes a long time to respond, it's usually a lost cause.

One solution that has RARELY been seen to work is to completely pull the HDD from the external harddrive casing.

Then plug the HDD into a computer via SATA cable, or into an external docking station if you have one available.

Then if you can't see it in Windows you can try Ubuntu.

If you still can't see anything, it's not recognizing, or it's beeing very unresponsive, than it's most likely a dead/dying harddrive.

At that point there are a couple of different companies you can send the HDD off to for data recovery, but it wont be cheap.

Anyways best of luck to you and I hope you find a solution for your problem!

Regards,

Shinseina
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 317 G Storage
June 16, 2012 12:08:21 AM

Shinseina said:
Hi maryglythloie,

I work at a Student IT Help Desk at my school. and from my experience if your computer is unable to interact with the HDD, or it takes a long time to respond, it's usually a lost cause.

One solution that has RARELY been seen to work is to completely pull the HDD from the external harddrive casing.

Then plug the HDD into a computer via SATA cable, or into an external docking station if you have one available.

Then if you can't see it in Windows you can try Ubuntu.

If you still can't see anything, it's not recognizing, or it's beeing very unresponsive, than it's most likely a dead/dying harddrive.

At that point there are a couple of different companies you can send the HDD off to for data recovery, but it wont be cheap.

Anyways best of luck to you and I hope you find a solution for your problem!

Regards,

Shinseina
Nonsense -- you better get a different job, I've been building computers and networks for over 30 years and I don't just throw my hands up and say its a lost cause simply because a drive has a corrupt MBR. I suggest that you hit the books before you give any more advice on how to give up.

No wonder people complain here about the lack of knowledge from help desk people that don't seem to know anything other than the script they are given. Sad.
m
0
l
February 13, 2013 12:33:43 AM

RealBeast said:
Nonsense -- you better get a different job, I've been building computers and networks for over 30 years and I don't just throw my hands up and say its a lost cause simply because a drive has a corrupt MBR. I suggest that you hit the books before you give any more advice on how to give up.

No wonder people complain here about the lack of knowledge from help desk people that don't seem to know anything other than the script they are given. Sad.


Hello RealBeast. Just had cause to visit this site and saw your reply. I too,never give up trying to find an answer to any problems I have with my computer. I f you know of a way to repair a harddrive that has crashed, after me using CheckDisc, I would appreciate your input, please. The harddrive is partitioned and I can get into one half of it, by using an external drive, but accessing the damaged half has me fumbling around in the dark. Any pointers please, that would help me. Thanks, Ken
m
0
l
February 13, 2013 4:50:40 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Due to a corruption on your hard disk you face this problem but don't worry you can fix it with the help of Data Recovery Software.There are several Tool available which can help you to fix a corrupt hard disk,you can get more information from here REDACTED - SS


Thanks for your reply,ronykk. I downloaded the Data Recovery and tried it. However, the message I am getting is. "The drive or UNC share you selected does not exist, or is not accessible. Please select another."
This fault occured after I ran Check Disc. Something I have done countless times over the years and with various computers.
The drive that I cannot open, is the one with my Windows programme on. Not the best part of the Harddrive to lose, I guess. ha ha
Thank you for trying to help me. Ken
m
0
l
May 29, 2013 8:59:29 AM

RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)


m
0
l
May 29, 2013 9:00:28 AM

Does this allow me to recover data from my external drive?
Thanks

RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)


m
0
l
June 9, 2013 11:41:52 PM

RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)


Hello Real Beast
I am new and trying to get hold of you.

My question
I followed your instructions, format successful. But I cannot see the external drive any more (after restart too). If I go to diskpart & list disk, I can see it. Could you or someone help please. Thanks
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 5:37:25 PM

bigmushroom said:
RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)


Hello Real Beast
I am new and trying to get hold of you.

My question
I followed your instructions, format successful. But I cannot see the external drive any more (after restart too). If I go to diskpart & list disk, I can see it. Could you or someone help please. Thanks

-------------------------
correct format is:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
list volume
select volume #(where # is the number of the external drive)
assign
exit

***rock n roll!!!*
m
0
l
January 21, 2014 3:31:44 AM

RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)

i tried the diskpart to the T and it told me "disk part has encountered an error: the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error."
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 1:41:21 PM

Conn Hall said:
RealBeast said:
I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877%28v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)

i tried the diskpart to the T and it told me "disk part has encountered an error: the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error."


In my case everything just slows down. diskpart is almost unresponsive. Anything else I can try?
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 11:42:18 PM

try EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.Try putting it in ubuntu as it detect most corrupt drives too and then back up or try some local professional data back up services.
m
0
l
June 16, 2014 12:50:06 AM

kenny2 said:
RealBeast said:
Nonsense -- you better get a different job, I've been building computers and networks for over 30 years and I don't just throw my hands up and say its a lost cause simply because a drive has a corrupt MBR. I suggest that you hit the books before you give any more advice on how to give up.

No wonder people complain here about the lack of knowledge from help desk people that don't seem to know anything other than the script they are given. Sad.


Hello RealBeast. Just had cause to visit this site and saw your reply. I too,never give up trying to find an answer to any problems I have with my computer. I f you know of a way to repair a harddrive that has crashed, after me using CheckDisc, I would appreciate your input, please. The harddrive is partitioned and I can get into one half of it, by using an external drive, but accessing the damaged half has me fumbling around in the dark. Any pointers please, that would help me. Thanks, Ken


There are a few tools i would reccomend. Am not sure about recovering the other partition. But the data oh yeah! Easus Data Recovery tool can help you access the info,you can then back it up and try a formatting with Hirens Boot.

m
0
l
!