New video card, clicking noise from hard drive?

tRad23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hey guys, I just purchased an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and it is working fine. However, the problem is during startup. On startup the computer clicks twice in a row quick then a one second pause, it repeats this about 4 times then all of a sudden the computer boots up fine. It sounds like its coming from the hard drive but this hard drive is not even two months old. I have an Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8ghz, 4gb xms2 ddr2 pc6400 (1gbx4), 160gb sata2 Seagate, Radeon HD 5750, Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 and a sort of old rocketfish 700watt power supply. Thanks for the help guys!

tRad23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I just swaped hard drives and unpluged my dvd rom, that noise is still there and it is hard to pin point it! I think it is a power issue. This psu is old... it didnt do this with my 8600gts.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Back up your hard drive NOW. The clicking is the sound of your hard drive failing and is not related to anything else.

You likely have only a few more boots before the drive never loads again. I did this exact thing once--thought it was a new component--but it was really the older hard drive, and I lost everything.

obsolete99

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
deadlockedworld, I thought the same thing, until the OP said that the noise remained after swapping drives. Unless, both hard drives have the same problem, it could point to something else; right?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Yea somehow I missed that comment. Strange. I suppose it could just be a fan warmup or something? A click should be from a moving part--and the HD and DVD should be the only things moving.

tRad23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback! I am still guessing what this noise is... I have unplugged everything except for the motherboard and the cpu fan and the noise is still there... Can it be the motherboard itself?

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Check your cable routing especially near any fans CPU/GPU or Case fans. It may be something simple. You could also try unplugging the cpu fan as well since this noise only occurs early in the boot cycle. Just be sure to reconnect it once you've tested if that's causing the noise.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Get a long pencil or a screwdriver and use it like a doctor would a stethoscope cover any pointy ends with some kind of tape,although it does sound like your cpu fan may be out of balance or the bearing is drying out,also check for any dirt or foreign crap in and around the cpu fan lose screw etc, you know the usual suspects...:)

rlane_49

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I just installed a HD 6770 and the same clicking noise as expressed in original post. I switched from a HD 4850 which did not click. The 2TB hard drive is 6 months old.

Apansy

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Same thing happens to me with my 5770 :(. I pin pointed the noise, for me its the HDD.
So I did a test I thought the HDD wasn't getting power first (because the GFX card has two power connectors) so I didnt use the one that powered the HDD unpluged the CD-ROM drive and and used the spare one, still that mysterious ticking noise continued XD.
So I have stil now answers but when I do I'll post it on this forum.

Till then cyas :D

Edit: Oh and I have the AMD Athlon x2 2.8 ghz, 2gb DDR2 kingston RAM, M61PME-S2 mobo and 550 watt power suply.