blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Should I go Core i7 930 with a HD 5850 or a Core i5 750 with a HD 5870? Keep in mind I will be Crossfiring at some point. Thanks.

Solution
i'd like to put in my two cents to recommend going with i5-750 if upgradability isn't a factor. i've got mine at 3.8 and like you, i usually rebuild every two or three years rather than upgrade. i'm not even sure why i have mine clocked so high, since i'm 90% a gamer and i'm never cpu bottlenecked. fun project i guess! with your minimal usage of hyperthreading and encoding, the 5870 and the 750 just make more sense.

read this post for a full discussion and breakdown of the i5 vs amd. i think you'll end up sticking with the i5.

except not everyone lives near a microcenter (nearest one to me is 8 hrs btw)

though since goatsword mentioned the i5-750, if you do go i5, make sure it is that one (all of the others are dual cores with hyperthreading)

for gaming its a non-issue, as they are pretty much equal there (don't be looking at the 965 since the 955 can reach the same speed OC'ed)

EDIT: my Phenom II x4 810 @ 3GHz doesn't bottleneck my CF 4870's (tested, gpu-z shows 100% gpu load on both)

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009

But you need to factor in price of motherboard and how long the AM3 slot will continue being standard (hence upgradeable)? Also, Intel has some really poor business practices that actually hurt innovation overall, such as Nvidia is claiming. Based on principal I will not buy another Intel product until they straighten themselves out for a few years. All this is my opinion, but I respect alternate ones as well.

blu3flannel

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Ehh, im leaning towards intel because their older core i7s beat out AMDs new six-cores even though theyre aboutb2 years old. Plus upgrading isnt an issue as i will be rebuilding every two to three years.

keep in mind that in gaming, the difference is negligible

though if you do anything that is cpu intensive (ie video encoding), get the i7, it will shine in those apps

whatelsematters

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
i'd like to put in my two cents to recommend going with i5-750 if upgradability isn't a factor. i've got mine at 3.8 and like you, i usually rebuild every two or three years rather than upgrade. i'm not even sure why i have mine clocked so high, since i'm 90% a gamer and i'm never cpu bottlenecked. fun project i guess! with your minimal usage of hyperthreading and encoding, the 5870 and the 750 just make more sense.

read this post for a full discussion and breakdown of the i5 vs amd. i think you'll end up sticking with the i5.

Solution