Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard causing BSOD?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2011 2:28:42 PM

Hey all, I've been having a lot of BSODs and I'm hoping maybe you guys can help me find the solution to this.

Here are my specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 2.8GHz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GT 430
Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO
Power supply: OCZ ModXStream 600W
Memory: OCZ DDR3 1333 2x 2GB

So when I first got the computer everything was working fine but it started having BSODs almost all the time, especially while I was playing games. Sometimes it would happen after a few minutes and sometimes after a few hours. Most of the time it mentioned the "atikmdag" file. There were a just a couple of other times where there was a BSOD while I was on YouTube or working with Flash. I originally had an ATI video card (Radeon HD 5570) and thought that this might have been causing the BSODs so since then I changed it to the NVidia card I currently have. That seemed to fix some of it. The BSODs are much less frequent now and at times I can go through an entire day or game without one, but they still happen, and again it's either during games or randomly like while I'm on YouTube or something. Two other times there was a BSOD while I was converting a video to be burned on a DVD. Now most of the time it's a "system service exception" and mentions "win32k.sys".

I've updated drivers, ran memtest and nothing came up, and I ran FurMark and didn't notice any problems. I'm not OCing and I left everything in the BIOS at the defaults. I did try changing the memory voltages and timings but I'm not sure if that really helped much. I don't know what else it could be and I'm thinking that maybe it could be the motherboard? But I'd like to get some other opinions before I try to RMA it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : motherboard causing bsod

a c 307 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1163 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 2:33:36 PM

Looks like a software error to me. Have you run any HDD utilities to test your HDD?
m
l
January 16, 2011 2:38:04 PM

No I haven't but I did upgrade and changed the HDD and tried reformatting. It was still happening with both.
m
l
!