A question re: Canon's 18-55 EF-S lens...

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 8, 2004 3:41:22 PM

Hello everyone,
My question is as follows:
I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use the
EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera? I'm
byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e. body
only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the widest one
is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is YES,
then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a wide,
18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd greatly
appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Alan D.

More about : question canon lens

December 8, 2004 3:41:23 PM

As far as I understand the EF-S lenses can only be used with the 300D
and 20D. The rear of these lensees protrudes more into the camera body
than a regular EF lens, which would likely cause damage to the mirror if
you managed to mount it on the wrong camera.

Alan D. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> My question is as follows:
> I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
> lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use the
> EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera? I'm
> byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e. body
> only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the widest one
> is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is YES,
> then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a wide,
> 18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd greatly
> appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Alan D.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:41:23 PM

Alan D. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> My question is as follows:
> I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount
EF
> lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I
use the
> EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera?
I'm
> byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e.
body
> only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the
widest one
> is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is
YES,
> then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a
wide,
> 18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd
greatly
> appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.

No, you can't. EF-S lenses are meant to fit only Canon 300D and 20D
bodies.
December 8, 2004 4:47:12 PM

Alan D. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> My question is as follows:
> I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount
EF
> lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I
use the
> EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera?
I'm
> byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e.
body
> only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the
widest one
> is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is
YES,
> then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a
wide,
> 18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd
greatly
> appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.

I would suggest that get the kit lens. For $70 or so it isn't a bad
deal. Although many pros will advise against buying a *trash* lens but
IMHO, it isn't that bad.

If not, consider how will you get a 28mm equivalent for the 300D? The
main-stream <28mm are very expensive. The only other choice is the $269
Sigma 18-125mm.

If you are really unhappy with the lens you can always sell it for
$60-70 on eBay.

- Siddhartha
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:12:27 PM

"Alan D." <alander98@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
> My question is as follows:
> I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
> lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use the
> EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera?

No.

These EF-S lenses stick farther into the camera getting elements
closer to the sensor than otherwise possible which makes it possible
to get a reasonably priced wide angle lens to compensate for the
sensor crop "magnification" factor non-full-frame sensors have.

Because of this physical difference, EF-S lenses are not backware
compatible to the Elan and friends.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Alan D." <alander98@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hello everyone,
> My question is as follows:
> I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
> lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use
> the EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera?

You cannot, and will never be able to use an EF-S lens on a film body.

The EF-S design takes advantage of the smaller mirror/prism size of the 1.6
crop factor bodies. Were you to succeed in actually mounting an EF-S lens
on a film body, the first thing that would happen when you shot would be
the larger mirror smashing into the back of the lens, probably breaking the
mirror and likely the lens as well.
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 1:46:44 PM

In message <TeqdnfydgPM6oSrcRVn-vg@giganews.com>, Alan D.
<alander98@hotmail.com> writes
>Hello everyone,
>My question is as follows:
>I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
>lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use the
>EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera? I'm
>byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e. body
>only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the widest one
>is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is YES,
>then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a wide,
>18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd greatly
>appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Alan D.

According to:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d....

the EF-S can be modified to fit a 10D. Whether it would fit anything
else...?

Regards
--
Neil Pugh
Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your informative replies guys. They're greatly appreciated
=) Seems I will get the lens afterall, since I'd prefer not to stay w/o a
wide angle lens for the camera...

Best regards,

Alan D.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 4:56:26 AM

"Neil Pugh" <neil@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o JhErWIU0CuBFwu7@wallacepugh.demon.co.uk...
> In message <TeqdnfydgPM6oSrcRVn-vg@giganews.com>, Alan D.
> <alander98@hotmail.com> writes
>>Hello everyone,
>>My question is as follows:
>>I realize that the D300 can take advantage of the regular EOS mount EF
>>lenses. However, does it work the opposite way as well? I.e. can I use the
>>EF-S (for example the kit 18-55mm) lens on my old EOS Elan camera? I'm
>>byuing a D300 and am considering purchase without the kit lens (i.e. body
>>only) since I already have some lenses for my Elan II (well, the widest
>>one
>>is 28mm so on D300 it'd be about 45mm). If the answer to the above is YES,
>>then I could perhaps get the 18-55 EF-S as well (therefore having a wide,
>>18mm lens for Elan II and equivalent of 29mm for the 300D). I'd greatly
>>appreciate any information or advice on the above. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Alan D.
>>

> According to:
>
> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d....
>
> the EF-S can be modified to fit a 10D. Whether it would fit anything
> else...?

If modified it would probably also fit the Canon D30's and D60's.
The Canon 1D is a different story and would probably get damaged if you
attempted it.

--

Israel Rodriguez

http://www.tehawk.com