Dell Vostro CPU odd list

akyman

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hi

First post.

I have a Dell Vostro 200 Mini Tower. I have seen a list on Dell's forums of compatble CPUs but I am slightly baffled because of gaps in the series of Core Duo that are listed.

To give an example the list states E6320, E6420 but there is no mention of the E6400. I was going to buy the E6400 because the Socket type and FSB match the other ones listed but I'm not sure I'd be doing the right thing.

Can anyone explain why the E6400 seems to be incompatible or do you think the list, which is often quoted on their forum, is incomplete?

As a newbie I can't, work out how to search the forums! The only search opton I can see is at the v top of the website and this just seems to give me either news or article results. I apologise if I am doing something wrong but I have tried to find a way to search instead of posting.

Hope you can help

Thanks

Solution
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

The list of compatible CPUs you would have been looking at will only list those CPUs that Dell have actually tested in that system. Obviously they can't test every single CPU out there but if they have tested CPUs of the same model and architecture etc. then you can be pretty sure that any CPU in that range will work. I would say that the E6400 should work fine. A BIOS update may be required if you have any issues and this can be obtained from the Dell website. Hope this helps and good luck!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

The list of compatible CPUs you would have been looking at will only list those CPUs that Dell have actually tested in that system. Obviously they can't test every single CPU out there but if they have tested CPUs of the same model and architecture etc. then you can be pretty sure that any CPU in that range will work. I would say that the E6400 should work fine. A BIOS update may be required if you have any issues and this can be obtained from the Dell website. Hope this helps and good luck!

Solution

akyman

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

Thanks for your help

akyman

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

Thanks. When I searched for "Dell Vostro 200" there was no button showing for forums so this threw me. I think my search was too specific.