Am I good enough with a 4 core CPU?

I don't game that much considering I am currently on Macs. I may do a little bit here and there though upon the build of another computer. I don't do any heavy stuff i.e, programming, graphics, etc, etc..I may put together a few movies and DVD's here and there. I am torn between a 1055T, as it is the latest and greatest, or a 955 X4. For someone like me, is it worth the extra 30 to 40 dollars? Thoughts?
14 answers Last reply
More about good core
  1. Probably not. Don't get me wrong, the X6 looks like a great chip, but unless you use a lot of fully threaded apps, I doubt you will see much real world difference between an X4 and X6.
  2. Okay, with that said, memory is my missing link. What is the best memory for the money with an 890 series chipset @ 2x2gb @1600? Or should I be lookin at something else?
  3. Well, I think that video encoding would benefit from the 1055T but as far as I know the 955 X4 is better for gaming right now. Its probably better to go 955 and save the money for a graphics card or extra hard drive.
  4. Probably?.. No.

But I would spend the extra $40 for 2 more cores. But then again I would look more towards the $300 x6 one.
  5. For memory, go with G.skill DDR3 1600. For hard drives go with the Samsung f3's. For video cards, go ATI 5830 at least.
  6. Or 1333 if it is cheaper, as 1333 -> 1600 adds little real world performance.
  7. What about an Athlon II X3 unlocked to a 4 core, does that offer similar performance to a Phenom II X4
  8. EXT64 said:
    Or 1333 if it is cheaper, as 1333 -> 1600 adds little real world performance.

Yes, I agree. I think that the 1600 is like almost the same price though, I could be wrong I havent checked recently. Alot of motherboards will clock 1600 ram at 1333 anyway.
  9. Its missing the L3 cache, which is a big hit in some apps. Let me see if I can find a review for you.
  10. jbjarko said:
    What about an Athlon II X3 unlocked to a 4 core, does that offer similar performance to a Phenom II X4

Dont get your hopes up of unlocking a core. Its hit or miss with core unlocking. If you want 4 cores for sure, then go with a Athlon II X4 630 or 635. It has similar gaming performance to the Phenom II's if you clock it at the same speed.
  11. Here's a pretty nice overview of what an Unlocked (or Real) AII X4 would be:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2836/1
  12. I appreciate the help. Greatly :)
  13. Ok, getting ready to pull the trigger. I found the memory I want, and the motherboard I want, but according to Asus' website, that particular stick is not compatible. How much stock can I put in that. It is the G.Skill stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193
    Thoughts?
  14. Check GSkill's site for the ram. They go out and test it themselves and have a much longer list of compatible motherboards than Asus probably has of compatible ram.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product