Sign in with
Your question

Is my graphics card dead?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2010 12:46:57 PM

Hello,
most every night i put my pc in standby. i have a pny verto 8600 gt graphics card. this morning when i got up i pressed spacebar to bring the computer out of standby. but the monitor wouldnt work. i plug it into my computers normal monitor connection and it works. and now my computer cant find the card in the device manager. but the fan is running. did it die?

More about : graphics card dead

a c 1363 U Graphics card
a c 100 C Monitor
April 5, 2010 1:03:16 PM

Try reseating it in the slot.
m
l
April 5, 2010 2:11:06 PM

thanks for the response. just tryed it did not work. same thing.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2010 2:21:19 PM

Test the card by its self if it is not the only one installed. My 8600gts went belly up recently due to bad vram.
m
l
April 5, 2010 3:34:38 PM

how do i do that....?
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2010 5:21:25 PM

calciumd said:
how do i do that....?

Ha.. nab. Open the case up and first take a look inside. If it is the only one just remove is inspect for bad caps (bulging, leaking, crap on the top) and faulty cooling like being a dust bomb (lots of dust) of the fan fell off. If looking good pop it back in and well go from there once you post back if it worked or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 5, 2010 6:33:29 PM

the OP didn't say there was any other card in there- looks like he tried using the the IGP and that worked, but won't find the 8600GT.

If you have another PC, try putting the 8600GT in there and see if it works. If it doesn't work in another PC, then Its a pretty good guess that the card is dead. If it works in another PC, then its something to do with your PC.
m
l
!