Your question

Green screen with black lines + BC2 artifacting

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Green Screen
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2010 1:33:25 PM

Ok, so i just finished building a new PC consisting of...

i7-860
asus p7p55
Sapphire Vapor-x 5870
4gigs gskill 1600
Windows 7
HAF 932 case

Its been running for about 4 days or so now, no problems while gaming in BF Bad Company 2 and Torchlight to test it out. Today however about 3 hours into a Torchlight session I encountered an odd error ive never seen before...

I went through a dungeon zone and a few seconds after the next floor loaded my entire screen turned a dark greyish green color with thin black lines running vertically through it. The internet radio station i had been listening to continued to play for 10-15 seconds and then stopped. Shortly after that it flashed again to a black/darker green screen. At this point i hit ctrl/alt/del to hopefully pull out of the crash and 5ish seconds later the task manager blue screen popped up. Upon closing the task manager my Torchlight game was no longer open.

There was no error message whatsoever, my GPU was running at about 45 degrees at the time as well.

Ive been browsing various forums trying to figure out what the cause of this issue is but i cant seem to find a solid answer so im hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction.

My questions/concerns are...

Is this the dreaded Grey Screen Of Death talked about in http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen... ?

If it is not related to the above problem am i looking at a hardware or software issue?

More about : green screen black lines bc2 artifacting

a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 2:20:28 AM

It probably is, never had the problem myself. I would suggest you try to roll back drivers until one works.
m
l
April 6, 2010 2:29:09 AM

Yes it is. First question is are you running the latest drivers? 10.3's? Do not roll back - ATI is improving the fix with every release.

Bad news is some people continue to report problems even after using these drivers. I personally had the GSOD very early on but then I flashed the bios to another version and they have disappeared.

Some report that under or overclocking seems to help reduce the incidence of this. BAd news is once it happens, it tends to happen at the same point again.

It is not your cards, nor is it the driver. IT is a combination of components in your system....something is right on the edge with these cards.... you can RMA the card but what do you think you will get back? Yep, someone else's returned card that they cannot see a defect on...
m
l
Related resources
April 6, 2010 4:39:29 AM

vvhocare5 said:
Yes it is. First question is are you running the latest drivers? 10.3's? Do not roll back - ATI is improving the fix with every release.

Bad news is some people continue to report problems even after using these drivers. I personally had the GSOD very early on but then I flashed the bios to another version and they have disappeared.

Some report that under or overclocking seems to help reduce the incidence of this. BAd news is once it happens, it tends to happen at the same point again.

It is not your cards, nor is it the driver. IT is a combination of components in your system....something is right on the edge with these cards.... you can RMA the card but what do you think you will get back? Yep, someone else's returned card that they cannot see a defect on...

Yeah i am using the 10.3 drivers, first and only video drivers on the system. Ive never over/underclocked a GPU before, with ATI is it as simple as adjusting levels in the overdrive portion of CCC? The sapphire brand card is by default overclocked i believe, if that has any bearing on this.

m
l
April 6, 2010 12:37:04 PM

Possibly related, today i started having a few issues with the other game ive been playing, Battlefield Bad Company 2.

The smaller of the two problems was that a few shadows were turned into big black splotches instead of their crisp outlines/textures. If you know the game, the large concrete blocks spread around the first base on the Valparaiso map looked horribly ugly instead of their normal concrete texture. Upon a round change this issue disappeared.

The more alarming problem was with some texture artifacting, not really sure what exactly it is though. Bright pink/yellow artifacting would appear on the ATV, in one case it would fade away gradually as i backed away from the vehicle until it looked completely normal about 15 feet away. The second instance of this was the exact opposite, all the ATVs would show the glitch until i moved closer than 15 feet or so, at that point it would fade back to looking normal as i moved closer.

To add to this, upon encountering the second instance of this bug it spread to a player model. Only the American Assault model would show artifacting around the boot model.

Here are some pictures to show you what im seeing.

Boots

Boots + ATV in the distance

m
l
April 8, 2010 7:43:11 AM

The above artifacting problem happened again today. The first instance of it disappeared after letting my PC sleep overnight and did not rear its ugly head for a few hours of playing yesterday.

Today however i noticed it pop up again in a different location. On a palm tree in the Laguna Presa map i encountered the exact same problem. From roughly 15+ feet away the tree looked perfectly normal, as i moved closer the palm fronds would slowly fade into a bright green and blue artifacting pattern. For whatever reason this was the only tree on the entire map that showed this problem, and like before my card was running about 56 degrees when it occured.

I have been unable to find anyone with a problem like this, anyone have any idea whats going on? I experience no other issues at all, the game runs perfectly other than this.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:07:55 AM

Really, I'm hoping that with a new driver from ATI (10.4) this problem would be fixed, ATI's drivers have slays been buggy to the extent that they fix one thing and then crash another, I would send this problem as feedback to the ATI team, you won't get a reply but at least they'll kno.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:15:21 AM

Have you try raising your card voltage? I do believe the Vapor-X edition comes pre-overclocked a little bit. Get the MSI Afterburner ultility and bump the voltage a little bit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:42:18 AM

Unfortunately, the Vapor-X cards are non-reference (they use special chokes, whatever the hell those are ;)  ), so you cannot change the voltage. I've got that same card, and I was hoping to hit 1GHz core stable with that AMAZING cooler, but, sadly, 940 is the highest I'll get. :( 

At the OP, try lowering the clocks back to 5870 reference levels and see if the artifacts go away.
m
l
April 9, 2010 12:27:51 PM

jedimasterben said:
Unfortunately, the Vapor-X cards are non-reference (they use special chokes, whatever the hell those are ;)  ), so you cannot change the voltage. I've got that same card, and I was hoping to hit 1GHz core stable with that AMAZING cooler, but, sadly, 940 is the highest I'll get. :( 

At the OP, try lowering the clocks back to 5870 reference levels and see if the artifacts go away.

Thanks, ill give that a go.

Today I finally encountered a second GSOD, this time in Bad Company 2. If the clock lowering doesn't alleviate the problem would you guys suggest hitting up a RMA? Ive been unable to find in my research if this problem is with just a small batch of cards or the whole fleet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 12:55:07 PM

No, it is not just a small batch of cards, it's too widespread a problem.

I had GSoDs with my 5870 using drivers 10.1, but they went away with 10.2. The only consistency about the GSoD issue is that it is wholly inconsistent. :) 
m
l
!