Sign in with
Your question

Do Nvidia Cards have Any Performance Problems on AMD Motherboards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2010 1:54:10 PM

I making my comeback to PC Gaming because...
a.) I Need a Decent PC for College,
b.) I want the mod community support and dedicated server you get with PC games.
c.) StarCraft 2!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want it reasonably cheap with decent performance So I'm going with a AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU, but I'm not sure if Nvidia cards perform well on AMD motherboards that have an AMD Chipset. I don't care about SLI, because there's no point of having two of these cards when I plan on using this card as a dedicated Physx card when I upgrade to the newer Nvidia Geforce 400 series or ATI's Radeon HD 5800's Cards later on this year.

Here's the questions.
  • Do I have to have to use a AMD board that has a Nvidia Chipset?
  • Are there any Performance issues from using a Nvidia Card on AMD Chipsets?

Thanks in advance to any who takes the time to reply
    a b Î Nvidia
    April 5, 2010 2:29:06 PM

First off, if you're going for budget, why are you going with an nVidia card? AMD is the budget-king, and beats nVidia at every pricepoint below $300. What's your budget for a GPU?

1. No, you don't.
    2. No, there shouldn't be.
    m
    l
    April 5, 2010 2:38:50 PM

shadow187 said:
    First off, if you're going for budget, why are you going with an nVidia card? AMD is the budget-king, and beats nVidia at every pricepoint below $300. What's your budget for a GPU?

1. No, you don't.
    2. No, there shouldn't be.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really have a budget but for the GTS 250 1GB models are only $140. Like I said in my post, I plan on upgrading anyways to take advantage of the slated price drops of the High-End GPUs. What better way to do that than to buying this card now and using it as a dedicated Physx card later when I upgrade. Can't do that If I go the the AMD/ATi route.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    a b Î Nvidia
    April 5, 2010 3:50:26 PM

No, but you could only shell out $80 for a 9600GSO for PhysX. For $140, you can get an HD5770 which has much better performance all of the features of DX11.
    m
    l
    April 6, 2010 12:18:10 AM

The GTS 250 1gb was about 90$ USD, I have no clue what you mean 140. OIf there was soome sudden 50$ inflation overnight, then get the 5770 at that price.

And
    m
    l
    !