Sapphire hd 5870 problems

G

Hello,
i have bought a Sapphire hd 5870 game edition .
Everytime i play a game on 22 inch full hd, the game freezes or i have a black screen after a short time of play.
System: DX58SO, and one 2gb princeton ram 1333. 320gb seagate
750w in-win commander power supply. Operating system win7 32 bit ultimate.

G

hi, and thank you in advance for helping.

when i have the black screen ( bad company 2), sometines it go back to the game and sometimes i have to open the task manager to end the task . sometimes the windows give the message that "the display driver stopped working and recovered".
i restart the computer but the problem is always occuring.
also the screen is freezing or crashing in all games.
i tried the heaven benchmark and it worked properly without major problems.( froze only once).

awaiting your reply.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
What version of the Catalyst Control Center and drivers are you using? Also- what GPU were you using before the 5870? Did you upgrade from another ATI or from an Nvidia card? If you had Nvidia, then you probably need to go back and make sure you uninstall all the drivers and even reboot your PC into safe mode, and run driversweeper. I would do this anyway and do a complete removal and reinstall of the ATI drivers as well as a first step. Also- make sure you are running the latest version of the drivers. Let us know how things work after you've done this:)

Right^
As i said make sure you have the latest ATI drivers and as fly said if you had an Nvidia card before you have to do a clean install for a new driver.
However its recommended to do a clean install when you are experiencing problems in game(even if you only have an ATI card)because sometimes the older drivers aren't completely removed and therefore you may run in to some problems

G

hi and thank you in advance,

i already formated the hard disks, and i m using the catalyst control center version 10.3.

i also updated the motherboard's drivers including the bios.

The only thing that i didn't do is to use the windows update to update the windows.

Could it be a hardware problem or a software problem?should i check the warranty procedure for hardware problem or is there another solution?

regards,

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Have you overclocked anything at all? It could be a software problem, but it seems like you've already done most of the software stuff I would try. do you have another PC you can try the card in? It is totally possible its a hardware problem. Have you checked into flashing the BIOS on the card itself or just the mobo BIOS? Another thing I would try is, doing like I said to completely remove the ATI drivers, and try installing catalyst 10.2 instead of 10.3 and see if it acts differently.

G

I tried the 10.2 catalyst with its hotfix from sapphire site. and i had the same problem.

i updated the bios by .exe file from windows. should i try to re-update the bios again?

But what doesn't make sense is that with Heaven benchmark it is giving an excellent result.

Could it be from the motherboard's slot?

i m running out of ideas.

one thing, in the motherboard there is a plug to give power to the vga as extra to help the 16x slot and to transfer a good voltage to the vga.
Could it be the cause of what is happening?
Should i rely on the vga's power plugs only?

could it be that the ati and intel motherboards aren't compatible as the were ment to be?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
It could be the PCI-e Slot- I had a similar issue with my 4870 on an older DFI board, and it turned out to be a bad PCI-e slot and when I moved the card to the second PCI-e x16 slot, it worked fine. If you have a second slot, might be worth a try.

Just to make sure that your card is running at full speed,download and install GPU-Z and choose the "Graphic card" tab,then you must have something called "Bus interface".
What does it says(as an example its like this;Bus interface: PCI-E 2.0 x16@x16 2.0)