Sign in with
Your question

Help deciding which motherboard to get!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2011 7:55:21 PM

Hi all.

Finally decided to go with the AMD Athlon II X3 455 and now need a mobo to go with it.

After far too much research I've got it down (unless anyone can throw something else into the mix!) to two boards. Both in my price range and seem future-proof enough with 6.0Gb/s sata and USB 3.0

These are:

Asus M4A87TD/USB3
Asrock 870 Extreme3

Any suggestions to which would be the best choice?

More about : deciding motherboard

a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 8:29:53 PM

Not trying to hijack your thread, but with the release of Sandy Bridge CPU's at very low cost and totallly outperforming most all others, why would you now buy an AMD? Seems to me that you are buying a VW when you could have (and want) a Porshe. Until the new (slower) AMD chips get released, all others are has beens. The old reason for buying AMD CPU's (price) is now moot. Remember that you'll likely have this CPU for years and with the new SB stuff brings higher performing software and greater CPU demands. Sorry, but the chip you mentioned isn't in the game any more.
a c 1152 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 9:01:01 PM

I would go with the ASUS board between the two unless you want the Crossfire support of the Asrock.
Related resources
January 16, 2011 9:08:31 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:
Not trying to hijack your thread, but with the release of Sandy Bridge CPU's at very low cost and totallly outperforming most all others, why would you now buy an AMD? Seems to me that you are buying a VW when you could have (and want) a Porshe. Until the new (slower) AMD chips get released, all others are has beens. The old reason for buying AMD CPU's (price) is now moot. Remember that you'll likely have this CPU for years and with the new SB stuff brings higher performing software and greater CPU demands. Sorry, but the chip you mentioned isn't in the game any more.

I definitely appreciate your views, but the cheapest Sandy Bridge CPU is double the price of my chosen AMD...
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 9:21:46 PM

SirSpanky said:
I definitely appreciate your views, but the cheapest Sandy Bridge CPU is double the price of my chosen AMD...

Well okay and please don't take my comments wrong. My point is this: I learned many years ago that there is a big down side to going cheap. Whenever I did do that, I always had regrets. Or as they say: buyers remorse.

I couldn't even find the model you want listed for sale here but based on similar speed chips, I'll assume it would be about $100. But for less than $100 more, you'll have a top performer that will last longer in the game than AMD unit. You'll likely just have to replace the AMD chip sooner and end up spending more in the end but I guess that will help the business world.
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 3:26:18 PM

Eagle Eye_54 said:

Typical fanboy response. Sorry not all of us can or want to afford a Porsche and are quite happy with a hyundai Sonata.

Get what fills your need for the budget you have.

I have no idea how Eagle Eye can even suggest to you ANYTHING without even knowing what you use the computer for. Obviously if you do surfing and email you don't need a i5-2500K. In fact 90% of users don't need anything even close to that fast, most are fine with a dual core.
!