Sign in with
Your question

Gigabtye GA-MA790XT-UD4P uses incorrect memory voltage

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2011 9:25:40 PM

I've tried both the 1.5 volt Kingston ValueRAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/2G) and the new 1.5 volt G.Skill Sniper memory (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR) and my Gigabtye GA-MA790XT-UD4P sets the memory voltage to 1.6 volts in both cases. Since this happens with two different brands of memory, I assume that the problem is with the motherboard rather than the memory. According to a post to a Gigabyte forum (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=588.0) the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard has the same problem.

I find it astounding that Gigabyte would get something as basic as setting the memory voltage wrong. Since the voltage is too high rather than too low the memory functions, but obviously consumes more power and runs hotter than its supposed to.

Has anyone else encountered this?
a c 1098 V Motherboard
a c 241 } Memory
January 16, 2011 10:20:40 PM

You should be able to adjust the voltage manually in BIOS.
m
l
January 16, 2011 11:14:57 PM

The BIOS choices for memory voltage range from normal through +0.75 volts, in 0.05 volt increments. What that means is that I can increase the voltage from 1.6 volts all the way up to 2.35 volts, but I cannot decrease the voltage below 1.6 volts.
m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2011 4:21:23 AM

I don't have any issues with functionality or stability; apparently the Sniper RAM functions fine at 1.6 volts. My issue is that I was going to post a review of the memory on the site I bought it from, but now I can't. I mean, I could write a review saying that I don't know whether the memory works at stock voltage, but it would be a pretty useless review.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
January 17, 2011 5:03:14 AM

kalmquist said:
I've tried both the 1.5 volt Kingston ValueRAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/2G) and the new 1.5 volt G.Skill Sniper memory (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR) and my Gigabtye GA-MA790XT-UD4P sets the memory voltage to 1.6 volts in both cases. Since this happens with two different brands of memory, I assume that the problem is with the motherboard rather than the memory. According to a post to a Gigabyte forum (http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=588.0) the GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard has the same problem.

I find it astounding that Gigabyte would get something as basic as setting the memory voltage wrong. Since the voltage is too high rather than too low the memory functions, but obviously consumes more power and runs hotter than its supposed to.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Two words: OCZ Gold. There are few motherboards that run "normal" baseline voltage because of it.

An engineer at a different motherboard manufacturer gave me the scoop on this nearly two year ago, refering to OCZ Gold by name:

Basically, the memory's SPD was programed so badly that it often did not boot up at stock voltage, to allow you to enter BIOS and set its recommended voltage. SPD values should ALWAYS reflect stable settings at stock voltage.

Consequently, a bunch of OCZ Gold owners began flooding "customer reviews" in places like Newegg complaining that their boards were incompatible with their RAM, as if it were a board problem, and motherboard manufacturers responded by increasing the base voltage.

Now, the thing that Gigabyte does differently is that it reports the voltage accurately. Many others will report 1.50V in BIOS when the actual setting is 1.55-1.6V. So don't hate them for being honest and hey, at least you know it's not an unsafe voltage for your particular RAM.

This particular problem eventually hurt OCZ's reputation across the board, which is unfortunate since they have so many other great products. In particular, I'm very happy with my Z1000M power supply, and have had great success overclocking their higher-model memory as well.
m
l
January 18, 2011 2:08:27 AM

Thanks for the explanation, Crashman. I agree that Gigabyte deserves credit for reporting the voltage honestly, but I will fault them for not providing a way to reduce the voltage to the correct level.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
September 20, 2011 12:49:42 AM

Quote:
Will having it set @ 1.6V cause my ram to degrade faster??
Probably not in any noticeable way. How many years do you want to run it?
m
l
!