Compaq Presario 2500 problem ripping audio CD tracks

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 1:25:06 AM

Hi,

I've had a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop for about a year and have
frequently had problems when I try to rip tracks from an audio CD.
There is no error message, but the track ripped to the hard drive
skips around in the music, sometimes even to tracks other than the one
I am trying to copy. This happens with more than one kind of software
(e.g., Roxio, audiograbber) so I don't think it's the software. The
CDRW/DVD drive on this computer is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.

Recently I came across the following discussion in a Compaq forum that
may provide a solution:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/qu...

Scroll down to the message dated Nov 11, 2003 03:09:31 GMT that
begins,
"The attached zip file is the DOS application to upgrade the firmware
for QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-241...." The attachment contains a firmware
upgrade that can be used to flash the drive. This has to be done from
DOS; I think the firmware has to be copied to a floppy disk that can
boot to DOS. Anyway, that's what I did; I flashed the drive, and so
far the problem has not come back. Note that the update is for the
VH04 firmware version, and that is the version number I already had,
but flashing the drive still seemed to make a difference (and someone
else reported the same thing).

I am posting this to the newsgroup in the thought that it might help
someone else who has this frustratingly unreliable drive. Of course,
if you try this and it messes up your drive, I am not responsible ....

I would also be interested to know if other people are having this
problem; if others find that this update does or does not work for
them; and if there is any other solution to the problem.

Regards to all,

Mark
p.s. I do not check mail at the above address.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 11:02:40 PM

I see that Compaq/HP now has a firmware update for the QSI drive with
a later version number than the one I referenced in the previous
message, so probably that is the one to use.

mdebell@juno.com (MDeB) wrote in message news:<7b807c8e.0409262025.4d93580b@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I've had a Compaq Presario 2500 laptop for about a year and have
> frequently had problems when I try to rip tracks from an audio CD.
> There is no error message, but the track ripped to the hard drive
> skips around in the music, sometimes even to tracks other than the one
> I am trying to copy. This happens with more than one kind of software
> (e.g., Roxio, audiograbber) so I don't think it's the software. The
> CDRW/DVD drive on this computer is a QSI CDRW/DVD SBW-241.
>
> Recently I came across the following discussion in a Compaq forum that
> may provide a solution:
>
> http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/qu...
>
> Scroll down to the message dated Nov 11, 2003 03:09:31 GMT that
> begins,
> "The attached zip file is the DOS application to upgrade the firmware
> for QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-241...." The attachment contains a firmware
> upgrade that can be used to flash the drive. This has to be done from
> DOS; I think the firmware has to be copied to a floppy disk that can
> boot to DOS. Anyway, that's what I did; I flashed the drive, and so
> far the problem has not come back. Note that the update is for the
> VH04 firmware version, and that is the version number I already had,
> but flashing the drive still seemed to make a difference (and someone
> else reported the same thing).
>
> I am posting this to the newsgroup in the thought that it might help
> someone else who has this frustratingly unreliable drive. Of course,
> if you try this and it messes up your drive, I am not responsible ....
>
> I would also be interested to know if other people are having this
> problem; if others find that this update does or does not work for
> them; and if there is any other solution to the problem.
>
> Regards to all,
>
> Mark
> p.s. I do not check mail at the above address.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:51:31 PM

I updated to firmware version VH07, downloaded from the HP site, and
am still getting errors when trying to rip audio tracks. If anybody
has a solution to this, I'd be grateful for the post. Thanks. Mark
!