Discrepancy on CPU Temperature

takumi8187

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to monitor my CPU temperature and I'm seeing a large discrepancy in the reported readings from CPUID Hardware Monitor and Speedfan. Please take a look at this screenshot:

tempse.png

CPUID Hardware Monitor is reporting Core #1 as 85C while Speedfan says the temperature is 51C.

Does anyone know why they would have such high variations in the readings? All the other readings seem to be very close/the same.

I use CoreTemp99 and CPUID Hardware monitor - they show the same temps (but CoreTemp99 sits in the tray with a constant display). You really need to improve your airflow: either better cable management to allow better airflow with your existing fans, or add another fan.

takumi8187

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Interesting. I tried Core Temp and it's showing the same numbers as CPUID Hardware Monitor but the cores are reversed:

CPUID Hardware Monitor
Core #0 - 54C
Core #1 - 62C

Core Temp
Core #0 - 61C
Core #1 - 53C

I know I need to work on the airflow inside my system. Ambient temperature around 25C isn't helping either.

I'm just curious as to which temperature reading I should believe. Core Temp/CPUID Hardware Monitor vs. Speedfan. Also, I've noticed one core always run hotter than the other. Normally 5-10C idle but up to 15-20C difference under load. What could be causing that?

Latest posts