Sign in with
Your question

Using all RAM slots in a triple-channel board - good or bad?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2011 10:15:32 PM

My recently-finished new build uses a Sabertooth X58 and I have been seriously thinking about getting more RAM. I currently have 3 X 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz modules for a total of 6 GB. I would like to get three more of the same modules to fill up all six of the Sabertooth's slots for a total of 12 GB. Would this be a bad idea?

I have read many postings that advise against using up all of your RAM slots but I still don't understand the exact reason why this is such a bad idea. Does this only apply to dual-channel configurations? Is the X58 chipset also vulnerable to the same issue? Also, is using up all slots a bad idea only if you're planning on overclocking? I have no plans on overclocking my RAM. Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated! Thanks in advance.
a c 1154 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 10:18:33 PM

If you need the extra ram it is not a bad idea. If you had no ram and wanted 12GB I would have recommended 3 x 4GB because of efficiency and leaving further upgrades open.
m
l
January 16, 2011 10:24:51 PM

rolli59 said:
If you need the extra ram it is not a bad idea. If you had no ram and wanted 12GB I would have recommended 3 x 4GB because of efficiency and leaving further upgrades open.

I was also thinking about getting 3 X 4GB but Asus didn't have such a kit in their approved/verified RAM list -- I was nervous about doing that since this was my first build attempt in 8 years. Oh well.

You mentioned efficiency -- is it because having the same amount of RAM in fewer modules is always faster overall? Or is it just a matter of taking up less slots and having more upgrade options for the future?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1154 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 10:50:35 PM

More modules more electricity (small amount) and upgrade ability. Not that I see a big need for more than 12GB in the near future.
m
l
January 16, 2011 11:01:44 PM

rolli59 said:
More modules more electricity (small amount) and upgrade ability. Not that I see a big need for more than 12GB in the near future.

Good to know that the downsides are pretty minor. Thanks for clearing this up, rolli59.
m
l
!