scravenger

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I have a 500GB WD SATA w/two FAT32 partitions, and the logical/extended partition is at 430GB of free space, yet I can't paste a simple 6GB file to it without immediately getting a popup window telling me there's not enough disk space, and that I need to free up some space first.

Tried copying/pasting from various flashdrives that are NTFS or FAT32, with no luck. No clue what's going on. Disk Manager is showing the correct size and free space, as is Explorer, etc. Rebooted, readjusted, etc...but nothing.

I have 32GB of DDR3 and the primary partition is 10GB, with 5GB free and no pagefile.

Now, it just hit me that maybe the primary 10GB partition is being used to stage the copy/paste command, and there's simply not enough room for that to happen. I suppose I could try pasting smaller 2GB files repeatedly to test that theory. All my temp variables point to the 430GB partition, though.

Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

scravenger

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
So far, I've pasted 2GB, 3GB and 4.2GB blocks without a problem. Anything above 4.2GB gives me the disk space error. I'm guessing when trying to paste anything above 4.2GB to the secondary partition, Windows is perhaps looking at the primary C: (5GB free) partition and saying no dice.

If that makes sense and anyone agrees, is there a workaround? I need to be able to move around 6-20GB files. It's not practical to break them down into 4GB pieces and reassemble.

Thanks.

scravenger

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I see other topics here that say FAT32 can't handle anything bigger than 4GB, but I know that to be false, since my 6-20GB files were created under WinXP on my old 80GB IDE drives that were all formatted with FAT32.

I just realized that as I was creating those large files months ago, they were being saved to a 2TB WD Passport which comes formatted with NTFS.

My bad... :pt1cable: