Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent BSOD on Bootup

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2010 3:05:52 PM

I am looking for a little troubleshooting help from the community of experts here.

I have an older system (about 4 years old now) that runs with the following specs:

Intel E6700 OC'd @ 3.2 GHz
4x1 GB OCZ Gold PC2 6400 (1:1 OC'd but I cannot remember the voltage)
Windows XP x64
GTS8800 512 MB
Antec TruPower 600W PSU

On about 80% of the startups, I get a BSOD right as Windows is loading the tray items. I have done a little troubleshooting so far but I have not been able to isolate anything. I tried disconnecting non-essential items (DVD Drive, Sound Card) to check for a power requirement issue. I have tried running MemTest86 over night and I had no errors. We have updated and rolled back pretty much every driver that we can think of but still we get the BSOD crashes most of the time.

If the system manages to load properly, it does not crash. It is only if you shutdown or restart that it will crash again. I have started to suspect either a bad sector on the HDD or an issue with one of the programs it is trying to load in the tray. I figure my next step is to run msconfig and disable one item at a time and see when I get a decent bootup (safe mode works fine by the way).

Any other advice for my next move in troubleshooting would be appreciated.
May 3, 2010 3:22:21 PM

Go to Administrative Tools control panel, Event Viewer, System log. See if there are any system errors (red Xs) recorded there which correspond to the times you saw the BSOD. Double click the errors, to properties. The error messages recorded there may give you more information about the problem. (For example, if the error names a specific file, you can Google it, to discover which program, or Windows process, etc., uses that particular file.)

See, Start Menu -->Control Panel -->Administrative Tools -->Event Viewer -->System log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427
May 3, 2010 9:59:05 PM

Herskovits said:
Go to Administrative Tools control panel, Event Viewer, System log. See if there are any system errors (red Xs) recorded there which correspond to the times you saw the BSOD. Double click the errors, to properties. The error messages recorded there may give you more information about the problem. (For example, if the error names a specific file, you can Google it, to discover which program, or Windows process, etc., uses that particular file.)

See, Start Menu -->Control Panel -->Administrative Tools -->Event Viewer -->System log

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

Thanks! I looked through the report log and I did not find any errors. I did find quite a lot of flagged items around a conflict with the installed antivirus and the Windows Firewall. For the time being, I have uninstalled the antivirus and I am 3/3 on reboots. I will update this thread if more news comes out of it.
!