Sign in with
Your question

Best Low Profile Graphic Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 5, 2010 8:28:30 PM

Hi guys

good day to all

My old computer died on me so I recently purchased new acer SLIM desktop(which came with integrated 9200 Geforce.. very limited for modern games, all other features are very good besides graphic card)

I know that keeping slim tower will limit my graphic card upgrade, but since I am not using my pc for gaming,

it shouldn't be a problem.

although Regardless of what I said above.. I would like to try some high quality modern games, you know what I mean?

I am looking for best low profile graphic card.

also I heard that i have to change the power or something depending on your graphic card.

I really have no knowledge about pc, please help.

I would be really appreciated if you advise..

Thank you

ps. FYI. this is the desktop I got
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672274-REG/Acer_P...
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 8:41:41 PM

Yep- I think the 5570 is probably pretty close to the most powerful low profile card you can get. Its great on power draw, and is reasonably powerful, though you'll definitely need to lower details, and probably resolution to play well on it.
Related resources
April 5, 2010 9:03:38 PM

Hi guys.. sorry, I have one more question,
the link rolli59 provided gave me some list of graphic cards and
which HD5570 is he talking about? Sapphire one???
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 9:05:15 PM

any of the low profile ones. There are a couple that are NOT low profile, but any of the low profile ones are fine.
April 5, 2010 9:09:06 PM

9600GT
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 9:09:58 PM

nutstae said:
Hi guys.. sorry, I have one more question,
the link rolli59 provided gave me some list of graphic cards and
which HD5570 is he talking about? Sapphire one???

It is your choice. Some people have preference on brands others look at warranty period and still others buy the cheapest for best performance/$.
April 5, 2010 9:14:33 PM

I myself got a slimline PC, its really little and looks cool. Yeah, the main problem with both of us is the graphics card. Well I would recommend getting a low power low profile card.

Here I found it:

ATI Radeon HD 4550 GDDR3
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Wattage:
25 Watts at full load.

My reviews on this card:
Its cool card, really faster than that you have, get it and forget it...
a b U Graphics card
April 5, 2010 9:17:11 PM

no reason to go all the way down to a 4550, a 5570 is just as low powered and faster.
April 6, 2010 1:17:54 AM

guys I have another question..

why not 5670? or any other stuff above??? they aren't available in low profile? is this it?? need help
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 1:29:02 AM

HD5670 is not available in lowpro at the moment. There are some Geforce cards 9600GT/9800GT but they might task your PSU to much. Can you confirm the size of the PSU?
April 6, 2010 1:53:15 AM

Thank you rolli59 for your help!!

I have ordered hd5570 !! will arrive in 2 days!
April 6, 2010 2:21:01 AM

sorry guys, one more question,

my pc came with Nvidia driver, and do I have to delete them? or it shouldn't a problem even if I install new ATI driver?
April 6, 2010 2:26:28 AM

Well i just bought an XFX 4650 for my girlfriends pc she uses it mainly to watch movies but it play's games ok as long as the details are at medium and the resolution is not too high.
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 3:04:36 AM

nutstae said:
sorry guys, one more question,

my pc came with Nvidia driver, and do I have to delete them? or it shouldn't a problem even if I install new ATI driver?

You go into device manager and remove your device (GPU) this will delete the drivers. Then you shut down and install your new card. On boot up you will be running on Windows original VGA driver but that is the time to install the driver for the new card.
a c 376 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 3:15:50 AM

Also ignore the driver disk and get the latest catalyst control center from the ATI website.
a c 1307 U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 3:18:46 AM

^+1 Good point
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 4:10:01 PM

Definitely remove the nvidia drivers, and also- I can't remember the last time I even put a driver disk into my PC- its all downloading the latest version from the manufacturers website. Catalyst 10.3 is your friend:-) http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx
April 6, 2010 5:25:48 PM

hi guys, just one more question,

Do I plug my monitor jack to this card ? or Do I just keep using built in original one?

ps. I only have one monitor.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 5:42:13 PM

Yes- you plug it into the new card. If you don't, you'll still just be using the IGP.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 6:39:15 PM

HDMI is a different port from DP. Displayport is a less common port right now, and is hard to find on displays, so HDMI is probably better for you right now, though Displayport does have some advantages that hopefully will get more useful in the future.
April 6, 2010 10:43:54 PM

guys, I have one more question, I really appreciate you guys' help.

my network adapter is nvidia nforce10/100/1000 mbps ethernet. if I remove nvidia driver from display adapters, then there won't be any change to network one right? because they are from the same brand I was just worrying about it. sorry im nub.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 10:48:44 PM

yeah- just make sure you remove only the Nvidia display adapter drivers, and not the ethernet drivers. You can even specify that when running Driversweeper- to leave ethernet drivers and remove the display adapter drivers.
!