Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Won't post after failed BIOS update

Last response: in Motherboards
January 17, 2011 4:33:19 AM

I was doing some regular maintenance on my systems, and due to some issues I was having, I decided to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 on my system. I had been running 7 for over a year with little issue, and the problem was mostly with networking (sometimes I couldn't connect to the shared folders on my other systems). I started to run the setup from a USB thumb drive, because I had issues with the DVD copy on another system of mine, and had read that there were some issues with the DVD drivers that came with 7. My mobo is capable of booting from USB and has all the correct settings, however, I was getting the same "driver" problem now with the USB install on this system. I had originally installed it with the DVD, so I tried doing the install with the DVD, but that wasn't working either, giving me the same error.

Since the install hadn't done anything, I decided to just reboot the computer and see if I could find a solution online. Upon reboot, I was given an error which I presumed meant the Master Boot Record was missing, because it told me it couldn't find c:/boot/mbr or something like that. I wish I had written it down. Well, I decided to put a copy of XP on the system so I could delete and reformat all the partitions on the drive into one, since the previous install of 7 had created 2 partitions out of my drive. After the full format, XP copied all the files, and then setup restarted. Once setup started to "install devices", it gets about halfway through, and then I got a blue screen memory dump. It happened every time, on both copies of XP I have.

After some reading, I found that someone had a similar "driver" problem with the USB drive because of problems with his SATA drivers. He had put the drivers on the USB drive, and was able to load them during setup. I searched all over, and I can tell you that I have an intel dg43nb motherboard, but I couldn't find just some SATA drivers, so I figured that I would try to flash the BIOS instead. I figured if the drivers were going to be anywhere, it'd be in the BIOS. I downloaded the bootable flash utility, and burned it to CD. After the flash, now the thing won't post, I have no screen, and no beeps. I've tried resetting the BIOS by disconnecting all power and removing the CMOS battery for 10 minutes, but I still get nothing.

I'm concerned now that I've done some damage to the mobo somehow, and I can't afford to replace it. There was one other issue that was happening before the reformat, and that involved failed boots. Sometimes, on startup, the system would beep, but wouldn't give a screen. I'd have to restart it a few times to get it to start working. I was thinking that it was an issue with the onboard video, but in retrospect, it may be related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 2:51:38 PM

Can you RMA the board?
m
l
January 18, 2011 4:25:28 AM

RMA isn't an option, the board is out of warranty.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2011 5:08:25 AM

Intel boards have a built-in BIOS recovery feature. I can summarize the process, but here's a link to their Youtube video on how to perform the task: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNzoTTKlGqc

Note: This process requires a USB flash drive, which may need to be formatted to FAT32 file system for the BIOS to recognize it as a bootable device.

Step 1. Go to the Intel Support/Download site: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng
Step 2. Enter your board model number in the appropriate field and click "Search Downloads."
Step 3. In the left "Select Downloads" box, select BIOS.
Step 4. Scroll down slightly and click the most recent BIOS file. (NGB4310H.86A)
Step 5. On the following page, find and download the .BIO file. (A new page will load in which you must "Accept" the license agreement.)
Step 6. Move the .BIO file to your USB flash drive.
Step 7. Find and remove the BIOS jumper on the motherboard.
Step 8. Plug in the USB thumb drive.
Step 9. Power-up the system and wait for the recovery process to complete. (This may take up to 10 mins.)
Step 10. When the recovery completes, power down the system and reinstall the BIOS jumper.
Step 11. Restart the system and press F2 to access the BIOS and confirm the version and it's functionality. (You may also wish to load default settings, set the date & time, etc.)

If your board won't complete the recovery process, or still fails to perform properly afterward, then I'd tend to think the board is simply dying and should be replaced.
January 19, 2011 3:31:45 AM

Best answer selected by RevLucifer.
m
l
January 19, 2011 3:33:44 AM

This fixed everything, I had no idea about this type of BIOS recovery until now. Windows 7 is installing as we speak. My wife could kiss you, since this was her business computer.

RazberyBandit said:
Intel boards have a built-in BIOS recovery feature. I can summarize the process, but here's a link to their Youtube video on how to perform the task: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNzoTTKlGqc

Note: This process requires a USB flash drive, which may need to be formatted to FAT32 file system for the BIOS to recognize it as a bootable device.

Step 1. Go to the Intel Support/Download site: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng
Step 2. Enter your board model number in the appropriate field and click "Search Downloads."
Step 3. In the left "Select Downloads" box, select BIOS.
Step 4. Scroll down slightly and click the most recent BIOS file. (NGB4310H.86A)
Step 5. On the following page, find and download the .BIO file. (A new page will load in which you must "Accept" the license agreement.)
Step 6. Move the .BIO file to your USB flash drive.
Step 7. Find and remove the BIOS jumper on the motherboard.
Step 8. Plug in the USB thumb drive.
Step 9. Power-up the system and wait for the recovery process to complete. (This may take up to 10 mins.)
Step 10. When the recovery completes, power down the system and reinstall the BIOS jumper.
Step 11. Restart the system and press F2 to access the BIOS and confirm the version and it's functionality. (You may also wish to load default settings, set the date & time, etc.)

If your board won't complete the recovery process, or still fails to perform properly afterward, then I'd tend to think the board is simply dying and should be replaced.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 4:25:32 PM

Glad to hear your system is working again. Hopefully it will be error-free once the OS is installed and updated. As for the kiss, the sentiment is appreciated, but I must decline. :) 
m
l
!