HDD to SSD Transfer Help

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
These are the steps I am going to take to transfer the files over please tell me if I am doing this correctly.

1. Before even plugging in the new SSD I will change to AHCI. (I found a guide on these forums)
2. Plug in the SSD to my motherboard and upgrade to the latest firmware using Corsairs firmware update tool.
3. Unplug the SSD from my motherboard and plug it in using the Apricorn SATA to USB adapter and run EZ GIG and transfer everything over.

Please tell me if I am doing this correctly.. thanks!

Solution

It gives you a new clean optimized install that is free of all built up crap then use this to tweak it http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
Jacks recommendation above are good.
Start up from your optical drive with win media in it and the SSD as the only storage drive in the computer. Then afterwards you can retrieve all your important DATA and then wipe the old OS disk and reinstall all your programs in what ever location you want them.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Wouldn't I need to put in the product key again?

1. Unplug data cable on ya HD
2. Connect SSD to SATA 0 port
3. Check BIOS to make sure AHCI (should do that automatically)
4. Install Windoze to SSD
5. Run Windows Update till it stops finding new crap to install
6. Install hardware drivers, reboot
.....meal break :)
7. Shut down and reconnect data cable of HD to SATA 1
8. Boot to SSD
9. Reinstall program over themselves....that is install to D:\[whatever] to set up registry on C:\ [SSD]

Bow you have the old windows install still on the HD. You can boot off the SSD (C:\) for everyday use but if ya HD (D:\ Under the SSD boot) will still boot windows if SSD craps out.....just chnage boot order in BIOS.

It gives you a new clean optimized install that is free of all built up crap then use this to tweak it http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/
Jacks recommendation above are good.

Solution

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Thanks for the help... the only problem now is that I can't seem to find my windows 7 CD... damnit... Ill just transfer everything over using the Apricorn sata to usb adapter and the software that it comes with, I do not have a lot of stuff on my computer mostly games and my computer is completely clean so I do not think that a clean install is necessary.